City of Surrey
Park Technician – Urban Forestry
The City of Surrey is a place of innovative transformation and accelerated growth—where the future is limitless and possibilities are endless. If you are excited about helping to build the City of tomorrow—and you share our values of integrity, service, teamwork, innovation and community—join us, today.
The Parks Division has a unique full-time job opportunity for someone who is interested in applying his/her varied experience and skills to meet the challenges of shade tree management. You will work with the City’s Urban Forestry team managing more than 75,000 street trees and over 25,000 park trees.We offer a dynamic work environment and excellent opportunities for advancement.
- Perform supervisory and technical work in planning, coordinating and supervising the work of crews and contractors.
- Responsible for projects and programs, including preparation of plans, schedules, reports and inspections.
- Perform hands on field work in all weather conditions, prepare annual and seasonal work plans for assigned functional responsibility area, based on section goals and objectives.
- Perform field-work in accordance with accepted standards, techniques and practices.
- Manage programs and projects within approved budgets.
- Administer contracts for work with the Parks Division.
- Direct field crews and contractors in all aspects of shade tree management.
- Respond to service requests from the public.
- Review planning documents and performing tree risk assessments.
- Supervise a tree care crew while performing all aspects of tree care services.
- Maintain work-related records and records pertaining to the status of projects.
- Completion of a Diploma program from a recognized post-secondary institution, with a minimum of 3 years related experience
- OR Completion of grade 12 supplemented by a relevant Trades Qualification supplemented by 3 years of related progressive experience
- OR Completion of grade 12 and a related Technical Certificate Program (one year full time) from a recognized post-secondary institution with additional related academic courses and training supplemented by 4 years of related progressive experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
- Must have strong computer skills and be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Possess an Arborist certification (International Society of Arboriculture) and a Pesticide Applicator’s License – both to be obtained before the completion of probation period.
- Able to work independently as well as in a team environment and must be physically able to carry out the duties as required.
- Logical and analytically thinker in problem-solving situations.
- Possess superior public relations, interpersonal, communication, organizational and leadership skills.
- Must have a Valid B.C. driver’s license with a safe driving history.
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check/Vulnerable Sector Check. We offer a dynamic work environment and excellent opportunities to advance.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca
Location: Surrey, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Forestry/Arboriculture
Posted: June 8, 2018, 2:10 pm
Expires: June 29, 2018, 4:30 pm