Vancouver Island Regional Library
Administrative Assistant - Human Resources
Are you looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity where progressive thinking, accountability and resource planning are valued?
If you are ready to work for an organization that fosters collaboration and partnership with its employees and communities, Vancouver Island Regional Library (VIRL) has an exciting opportunity for you!
Under the direction and support of the Divisional Manager, Human Resources, the Administrative Assistant, Human Resources is responsible for handling a variety of human resource, safety and personnel related administrative duties.
This position requires excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information. The Administrative Assistant, Human Resources is largely responsible for all the administrative duties required to support the Divisional Manager, Human Resources, the Divisional Manager, Health & Safety and the Human Resources Team. This position is also primarily responsible for the administration of the organization’s health and welfare benefits.
You have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Proven work experience as a Human Resources Administrative Assistant or Human Resources Administrator;
- Hands on experience with Human Resources software or databases;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective staff and public relations;
- Ability to work independently and accurately to meet shifting priorities and deadlines;
- Excellent knowledge of spreadsheets and Microsoft office suite, in particular advanced Excel formulas and functions;
- Highly motivated with a desire to be successful including the ability to exercise independent judgement and basic reasoning skills;
- Superb time management and organizational skills to establish priorities, allocate time and resources effectively;
- Experience working in a multi-union work environment. In this position, your duties may include:
- Records maintenance, including updating/maintaining databases, document retention and forms development;
- Document and data management within the department(s) as well as pertaining to Human Resources and Health and Safety on the Intranet (Inside);
- Photocopying, filing, note taking, dictation and other administrative support as required;
- Facilitate hotel bookings, catering and other meeting arrangements;
- Developing appropriate professional relationships with all levels of VIRL;
- Ensures new employee benefit orientation documentation is completed in accordance with carrier and organizational requirements;
- Maintains all benefit documentation and completes all on-line employee benefits administration (new enrolments, additions, deletions, terminations etc.);
- Communicates with Group Carrier representatives for the purpose of confirmations, changes, compliance, eligibility and other related correspondence when required;
- Compiles all necessary benefit reports for the Finance Department to ensure annual compliance;
- Ensures benefit entitlements and changes are implemented and communicated in a timely manner (rates, status and coverage);
- Assists in the development and/or implementation of initiatives and efficiencies designed to improve all human resources processes and administrative functions;
- Maintains a high moral standard and level of confidentiality;
- And of course, other duties as required.
Education and Experience that would make you stand out:
- Completion of a post-secondary education in Business Administration or Human Resources;
- Minimum of three (3) years (full time) relevant administrative experience in a unionized work environment.
You should also know: You are required to have a valid BC Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle given that there will be travel to various VIRL Branches or potential VIRL Branch locations. You will also be required to satisfactorily complete a Criminal Record Check (Working with Children & Vulnerable Adults).
About Us: Our Mission is to enrich lives and communities through universal access to knowledge, lifelong learning, and literacy. Our Vision is to develop strong library branches that are vital community destinations for knowledge, inspiration, innovation, and renewal.
Vancouver Island Regional Library has over 370 employees and serves over 430,000 people through 39 branch locations on Vancouver Island, Haida Gwaii, Bella Coola on the central mainland coast, and through our eLibrary at www.virl.bc.ca.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position is located our Nanaimo Administration Office (also known as our Nanaimo North Branch): 6250 Hammond Bay Road Nanaimo, BC V9R 5N3
Please reference the Competition No.: EX2018-69 in the subject line of your email when submitting your cover letter and resume to HR@virl.bc.ca.
Your cover letter should clearly identify how you have the knowledge, skills and experience to be successful in this position. VIRL thanks all applicants for their interest in working with us however only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Visit us at www.virl.bc.ca for other exciting opportunities.