School District No. 73 (Kamloops/Thompson)
Manager of Finance
Nature and Scope:
Applications are invited for the position of Manager of Finance for School District No. 73 (Kamloops/Thompson).
Kamloops/Thompson School District No. 73, located in British Columbia’s Southern Interior, operates in a region of about 103,000 people, with its head administrative office in downtown Kamloops. School District No. 73 is a diverse and inclusive organization providing public education programs in the City of Kamloops, and the municipalities of Chase, Barriere, Logan Lake, and Clearwater as well as many smaller communities west to Savona, south to Westwold and north to Blue River.
The Manager of Finance is responsible to the Director of Finance for the day-to-day operations of the Financial Services Department clerical staff for School District No.73. The Manager of Finance works with the Director of Finance to ensure there is a sound system of accounting and internal control practices to ensure proper, authorized use of School District funds.
The Manager of Finance supervises all finance department activities and actively participates in the financial management of the School District. He/she determines the provision of adequate staff and delegation of responsibility within the Finance department.
He/she is a member of the management team and attends staff meetings called by either the Secretary-Treasurer or the Director of Finance to provide advice on the financial position of the School District.
Reports to: Director of Finance
- Selection, training, supervision and evaluation of appropriate clerical staff to maintain up to date accounting records and control of all School District operating, capital and trust transactions.
- Maintenance of an up to date, balanced general ledger and related supporting documentation for all School District transactions.
- Review and analyze biweekly, semi-monthly and monthly payrolls to ensure accurate calculation and compliance regarding SD73’s statutory reporting requirements including T4’s, T4A’s and BC Pension Plan remittances.
- Review and analyze all payroll related employee benefits.
- Provision of assistance as required by the Director of Finance for the maintenance and upkeep of the School District electronic data processing financial management system.
- Provision of assistance as required by the Director of Finance in the determination of contract entitlements and deductions for all employees.
- Provision of systems for control of School District receivables and payables, including ongoing review to ensure efficient work flow.
- Annual billing and collection of tuition fees due for our 1st Nations students that are resident and non-resident with our local area Indian Bands.
- Assessment, collection and remittance of GST and PST as required by statute on all School District transactions.
- Maintenance of a system for the orderly disposition of school raised funds and a staff training program for related school based staff.
- Assist the Director of Finance, to prepare financial reports required by the Ministry of Education or other Ministries/funding agencies, including the Government Reporting Entity (GRE) reports, Employment Data and Analysis System (EDAS) 1530 report and Statement of Financial Information (SOFI) report.
- Assist the Director of Finance to provide strategic leadership of school-generated funds and the internal audit function.
- Full delegated authority to act on behalf of the Director of Finance in his/her absence with Business Services Department decisions.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of School District and general business accounting and management practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with District Staff, School Trustees, Ministry staff and other important contacts.
- Ability to create and implement an overall plan for the business functions of the School District and enforce procedures and controls respectively.
- Thorough knowledge of the SRB/PowerSchool computerized accounting system.
- Ability to create and produce Ministry reports as required and internal management reports for the various managers.
- Ability to select, evaluate and supervise appropriate clerical staff.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.
- Progressive experience in accounting or finance with at least 3 years of supervisor experience, preferably within the K-12 education or public sector.
- Knowledge and experience of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) financial systems, preferably SRB/PowerSchool, and other data analysis and reporting tools.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to collaborate, build effective teams and communicate effectively at all levels.
As part of the hiring process, successful applicants are required to sign a “consent for criminal record search” to permit a criminal record review.
Deadline: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 @ 12:00 p.m.
Please submit your CV, cover letter, certifications and the names of at least three references through www.makeafuture.ca/kamloops-thompson
Ms. Trina Cassidy, Director of Finance
School District No. 73 (Kamloops/Thompson)
1383 Ninth Avenue, Kamloops BC V2C 3X7
Location: Kamloops, BC
Region: Thompson / Shuswap / Columbia
Professional Categories: Financial Administration
Posted: June 6, 2018, 1:14 pm
Expires: June 27, 2018, 12:00 pm