Project ManagerFacilities and Campus Development
BCIT’s Facilities and Campus Development is looking for two regular, full time Project Manager. A key objective of this position is to deliver general construction projects to its clients and stakeholders on time, on budget, and within scope and quality. The scope of the projects includes both renovation and new buildings and varies in complexity and size. As a member of the Project Service team, this position leads a team of Senior Project Coordinators and liaises with all functions within the Facilities team and Campus Development.
Project Services activities are undertaken to advance BCIT’s strategic educational vision and to support facility renewal objectives. The division is responsible for the delivery of projects on BCIT campus lands, with an emphasis on the efficient utilization of assets and sustainable practices.
- Implement approved project plans from conception to completion and ensures they meet the requirements of the Ministry of Advanced Education and BCIT.
- Ensure projects are developed to meet the maintenance and operational needs; and requirements for the specific sites.
- Working with the Project Services Division (PSD) team, develop processes and procedures relating to the delivery of projects in respect to new construction, upgrades, tenant improvements, system renewals(HVAC & electrical), civil works, life safety system upgrades, data and communication infrastructure upgrades, and other related services. Prepare estimates, project budgets, set project schedules, review of technical documents, making recommendations to Senior Management as required.
- Manage the project milestones and performance metrics in relation to deliverables and established targets. Confirm the validity of project estimations and assumptions at key milestones, and manage the project budget to ensure that it is within the allocated funding.
- Ensure that deficient work is completed in a timely manner on all projects; as-built drawings, operating and maintenance manuals, warranties and master plans are completed and delivered in a timely manner.
- Participate in the preparation of RFP's for contractual services, evaluating and making recommendations of awarding of contracts to consultants as required and ensures contract requirements and deliverables are regularly reviewed and met as they apply to the area.
- Manage agreements and meets all requirements (including ongoing progress and financial reporting requirements) associated with the deliverables of projects.
- Lead key building retrofit/building re-commissioning projects from conception to completion.
- Provide guidance to the Project Coordinators and clerical staff in preparing tender packages, reviewing the tenders and making recommendations for the award of contracts.
- Provide direction and leadership to project staff and other employees involved in this area, consistent with policies and procedures of the Institute.
- Act as the Project Leader for key sustainable building projects, coordinating multi-disciplinary teams of engineers, contractors, technicians and architects.
- Complete project assessments with clients to determine the viability, needs, requirements and assist in the delivery of a project plan.
- Manage the preliminary design and space planning requirements for minor projects.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned by the Director of Project Services.
- Promotes a learning environment by identifying and implementing employee training and development opportunities, ensuring that staff receives on the job training on desktop tools,safety, and changes to workplace procedures and policies/standards.
- Provides direction to staff on day to day administration and interpretation of the applicable collective agreements and is the School’s lead on human resources and labour relation issues.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC's Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
- Diploma of Technology – Architecture/Engineering or related bachelor degree or PMP or AIBC/APEGBC designation. Three to five years current relevant work experience directly related to managing and administering projects, including some years working in a unionized environment. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated leadership, planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated collaborative management style that engages employees and mentors relationships to achieve work related goals.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, BIM, Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office software.
- Knowledge of the jurisdictional responsibilities of various Municipal and Provincial government agencies related to building by-law, zoning, environmental and safety requirements.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish and sustain a wide variety of stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to communicate (oral, written and presentation) effectively with clients and stakeholders.
- Knowledge of property management of educational facilities including health, safety, maintenance and operational requirements.
- Contract negotiation and administration skills.
- Sound knowledge of the practices and methods of architectural and engineering firms as related to administration of projects and building construction.
START DATE: As soon as possible
OPENING DATE: June 2, 2018
CLOSING DATE: July 6, 2018
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Project Management
Posted: June 5, 2018, 12:53 pm
Expires: July 6, 2018, 4:30 pm