The Comox Valley is an attractive geographic location, rich in rural agriculture, vibrant urban development, meandering coastline and dramatic mountains. There are spectacular outdoor activities available throughout the region, offering unlimited possibilities to current and prospective residents.
At the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) we work collaboratively, continually look toward the future and strive to be the change we wish to see in our communities. Our values coupled with a commitment to leadership excellence and a resolute focus on serving the residents of the Comox Valley, help to create an organizational culture that’s second to none. What we do goes beyond work, offering our employees the support to achieve and maintain a healthy balance between work and lifestyle. Working with the CVRD is a plus for everyone.
We are currently seeking a permanent full-time GIS Analyst to join our Information Systems team. The GIS Analyst creates, modifies and analyzes digital GIS databases associated with land use, utilities, and environmental planning, creates mapping products and provides expertise, assistance and training to Comox Valley Regional District staff, public, consultants, and external partners in the use of GIS technology. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Information Systems and GIS, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Developing and executing spatial analysis and presentation projects that integrate data from diverse sources;
- Conducting research on geographic database matters and updating departmental databases as required;
- Developing analysis methodologies for data from different organizations;
- Responding to enquiries from the public, staff, and elected officials with respect to various geographic and mapping issues;
- Supporting planning staff in the collection and application of digital GIS data;
- Building custom modeling/analysis techniques for mapping requests and developing mapping products for public hearings, open houses, and committee and board meetings.
Our ideal candidate is:
- A strong researcher with the ability to create meaningful maps, plans, graphics and other presentation materials from GIS data;
- Organized, analytical and creative when it comes to problem solving;
- A strong communicator;
- Educated in GIS at the University level with a related Bachelor’s degree;
- Experienced in land use related GIS applications, with over one up to two years of directly related experience including experience using ESRI’s ArcMap and ArcCatalog, editing and maintaining geodatabases and SQL programming;
- Knowledgeable in relevant GIS software.
This is a CUPE Local 556 position with a current wage rate of $34.68 per hour.
The closing date for this position is June 22, 2018 at 3:00 pm. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.
Posted this 4th day of June, 2018.
Location: Courtenay, BC
Region: North and Central Vancouver Island / Sunshine Coast
Professional Categories: Geographic Information Systems
Posted: June 4, 2018, 12:16 pm
Expires: June 22, 2018, 3:00 pm