The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
Trades 2 Gardener
Job ID: 2018265
$39.19 per hour
The City of Richmond is currently looking to hire a Regular Full-Time Trades 2 Gardener to join our Parks Operations team. This position involves skilled Trades level work of a supervisory nature and is responsible for providing supervision and leadership to staff involved in the cultivation, planning and maintenance of a variety of plants, flowers, shrubs, trees, turf areas and related ornamental parks, recreational and boulevard areas.
We are looking for someone that has:
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in gardening operations.
- Knowledge of Botanical nomenclature for a wide variety of plants, shrubs, trees and flowers.
- Ability to perform all trades supervisory duties with a high degree of initiative, independence of action and judgement.
- Knowledge of landscape design, construction and ability to read landscape plans and blueprints
- Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions particular to the various operations supervised.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates other employees and the public.
- Ability to use tact and courtesy in contact with members of the public and staff and project a positive image for the City of Richmond at all times.
- Ability to maintain records, reports, estimates and perform related administrative tasks.
- Ability to supervise, train, mentor and check the work of staff engaged in routine gardening tasks.
- Ability to work effectively individually and as part of a team, and work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously; work well under pressure; deal with stressful situations with professionalism.
- Skill in the use and care of a wide variety of gardening tools and equipment.
Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by a recognizable trades certification in Landscape Horticulture (Red Seal). An additional two (2) to five (5) years of related journeyman experience is required, including apprenticeship training and formal supervisory experience. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
If you think this is a good fit for you, we invite you to apply today!
For further information regarding position details and to apply, please visit our website at www.richmond.ca/employment.
The City of Richmond offers a competitive pay and benefits program, attractive incentives and a compressed work day schedule.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.