Manager, Corporate Finance & Treasury
Finance & Technology – Financial ServicesCompetition 18/139
Status Exempt Management
Salary Range $104,380 - $122,800 annually (2016 rates)
Review of applications begins 4:00pm on June 13, 2018 but the position will remain open until filled
The Manager, Corporate Finance and Treasury is responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction specific to the CRD’s planning, and coordination of the Revenue and Treasury section which includes utility billing, accounts receivables and the print shop teams and supports all three entities, the CRD, Capital Regional Hospital District and Capital Region Housing Corporation. As a member of the Financial Services team, the incumbent is accountable for the performance of Corporate Finance and Treasury activities. This includes ensuring the CRD has adequate liquidity (cash on hand, bank lines, access to debt and hybrids) to fund operations and investment opportunities. As a change agent, the manager uses an analytical approach to drive change towards a more collaborative and consultative business partnership with clients. The position also works collaboratively with other division managers as well as CRD departments to provide best-in-class customer service with a commitment to simplification, transparency, and innovation. This position provides oversight to ensure compliance in financial reporting with the Local Government Act and Community Charter.
Key Accountabilities / Position Outcomes
- Leads and manages the investments, debt, revenue and collection activities for the organization, which includes developing and recommending corporate bylaws, policies and strategies.
- Leads and manages research and modeling of economic and financial market conditions impacting investment returns, borrowing costs and internal interest to provide strategic solutions and decisions.
- Recommends the appropriate liquidity position that the CRD should maintain and recommends approaches to cash flow and investment management.
- Manages timing of investments and debt issuance based on actual cashflows and the cashflow management strategies developed together with the Senior Manager, Financial Services.
- Manages internal interest framework, accounting and reporting, delivering transparent structure for internal borrowings and returns and prepares interest income forecast and variance analysis for budget purposes.
- Partners with departments to provide identification and analysis on revenue opportunities to improve financial performance.
- Develops and maintains relationships with external brokers and negotiates terms to ensure maximized performance.
- Defines and recommends appropriate capital structures for business arrangements while balancing business needs, risk management, accounting and legal/policy/bylaw requirements
- Advises on best practices for revenue billing and point-of-sale processes and controls across wide range of services supporting operations towards efficient and effective revenue accounting and collection and manages the credit application.
- Improves systems supporting billing, collection, cashflow, investing and debt by proactively identifying opportunities and making recommendations.
- Meets targets on investment earnings within the constraints of the Local Government Act, Community Charter, and the corporate investment policy.
- Ensures that related CRD financial policies, processes and reporting are in accordance with current PSAB policies and with GAAP; implements changes as required to improve financial reporting efficiency and effectiveness.
- Responsible for the leadership and management of employees and contractors within area of responsibility, including employment and labour relations matters involving: employee hiring, promotion, demotion and other personnel matters; discipline and discharge; representing management in the grievance procedure; input on behalf of management into labour relations matters, and representing management on committees; maintaining Employer confidentiality; and developing, supporting and implementing various corporate and legislated policies, procedures and practices.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A degree in Finance, Commerce, Business Administration, Public Administration or related, plus a CPA designation and a minimum of 8 years of relevant accounting and finance experience including progressive experience in treasury management in a local government environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation is an asset.
Role-specific Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge and experience with related legislation including the Local Government Act, Community Charter and Public Sector Accounting Board principles and includes an understand of the relationship with the Regional District and the Municipal Finance Authority of BC.
- Proven ability to develop and implement business process improvements and incorporate best practices that drive sound decisions, ensure fiscal accountability and enhanced financial performance in consultation with internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrated analytical and modeling skills to assess and evaluate risks and opportunities that relate to long-term financial activities.
- Experience in the development, implementation and management of internal controls, financial practices and procedures.
- Embraces change and develops implementation plans to effectively communicate, build commitment and overcome resistance.
- Exemplifies leadership excellence through the display of optimism, building trust and mobilizes others to understand the corporate vision.
- Leads the way by displaying innovative thinking and creativity, meeting challenges with resourcefulness and optimism and generates an environment of continual process improvement understanding our contextual environment.
- Must be a team oriented leader with high level of integrity and business ethics and has proven themselves as a hands-on and results driven individual.
- Works collaboratively to establish and maintain working relationships with staff and all levels of management and the Board/Committees/Commissions.
- Ability to motivate and maximize contributions of the team to meet changing business needs.
- Ability to tactfully, courteously and effectively work and communicate with the public, staff, and management.
- Demonstrated management experience in a client-focused environment, ideally a unionized environment.
- Knowledge and experience working with MS Office programs, Sharepoint and other relevant software.
- Experience in working with an ERP system, such as SAP.
- Exceptional leadership skills, demonstrated by a proven ability to: work effectively with staff and establish and maintain respectful and professional relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- A valid BC Driver’s License is required.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”. The CRD wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
Appendix – Leadership Profile
Leadership Profile: CRD Leaders are champions for creating an accountable, high performance, service oriented organization that makes a difference in our community. They pay attention to shifts and trends in an ever-changing and complex environment and think strategically to serve residents, businesses and local governments today while developing a sustainable organization for the future.
Leadership Summary: Leaders at this level generally manage professional employees and/or supervisors and may manage lower level managers in a diverse work group or broader functional area. They develop and manage operational plans and budgets to achieve operational objectives for their area that are aligned with departmental objectives. Working fairly independently, with occasional supervision from a direct manager, they play a hands-on role in daily operations of the group, using in-depth functional expertise, motivation, and diplomacy to interpret client needs, identify business issues, and resolve complex operational problems.
CRD Leadership Competencies: While CRD Leaders are accountable to all Leadership Competencies, the following have particular relevance to this position:
Pulls people together to accomplish goals that could not be reached individually, including:
- Uses formal and informal networks to identify opportunities for collaboration
- Invites participation from diverse groups with common interests
- Balances consensus building skills with negotiation and influencing skills to achieve outcomes
- Empowers team members to take joint ownership of outcomes
Sees the Big Picture
Understands and helps others see the complexity of the CRD environment, including:
- Identifies connections, relationships and possibilities between and within different parts of the CRD
- Considers the impact of actions on other areas and/or the whole organization
- Helps others to connect current actions with the vision and strategic goals of the CRD
- Reviews and adapts plans to take advantage of emerging opportunities and to address changes in other areas.
Is Accountable for Results
Aligns the people, resources and systems necessary to deliver business results, including:
- Takes personal accountability for actions and outcomes in own area of responsibility
- Delegates appropriately to achieve results
- Empowers others to be accountable by setting clear outcomes, checking-in regularly, and providing mentoring to ensure goals are met
- Celebrates individuals/teams successfully delivering outcomes
Focuses on Service
Maintains a focus on service (internal and external) including:
- Solicits information and feedback from clients and uses it to continually improve service
- Ensures decisions and changes align with our core business and serve the client
- Models a personal commitment to making a difference for clients
- Empowers employees to be accountable by removing barriers to service
- Recognizes and rewards employees for finding ways to improve service
Inspires trust by maintaining high personal standards that align with the values and philosophy of the CRD, including:
- Follows through on commitments and communicates progress
- Invites input and displays a genuine interest in the ideas and concerns of others
- Cultivates an open, respectful and transparent work environment
- Demonstrates humility by admitting errors and learning from mistakes