City of Surrey
Tradesperson 2 - Heavy Duty Mechanic
|Employer name:||City of Surrey|
|Employer business address:||13450 - 104 Avenue Surrey, BC, Canada V3T 1V8|
|Title of position:||Tradesperson 2 – Heavy Duty Mechanic|
|Terms of employment:||This is a permanent, full time position.
The hours of work are from 3:30pm to 11:30pm, Monday to Friday.
|Salary:||$36.80 per hour plus benefits. 40 hours per week.
$1 extra/hour is given for this shift because it is afternoon shift.
|Benefits:||3 weeks’ vacation, life/disability/health/dental insurance,
municipal pension plan, employee paid group RRSP
|The location of work will be:||6651 148 St, Surrey, BC V3S 3C7|
|Language of employment:||English (Spoken and Written)|
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. Awarded by the American Public Works Association and a Top BC Employer, we are looking to add to our dedicated team a Heavy Duty/Commercial Mechanic. Reporting to the Fleet & Garage Manager in Engineering Operations, the incumbent will perform skilled trade tasks involving considerable physical effort and active performance in maintenance, servicing and repairing a wide variety of multiple fuel type vehicles and equipment.
- Perform a variety of tasks including mechanical overhaul, maintenance, servicing and repair on a wide variety of equipment from weed eaters to dump trucks, to excavators
- Inspect and troubleshoot equipment and vehicles to observe performance and determine cause of malfunction
- Dismantles equipment including engines, transmissions, differentials and blocks and services equipment for repair
- Overhauls component parts such as carburetors, generations, fuel pumps, distributors and starters
- Interacts directly with customers and the public.
- Grade 12 or GED;
- Red Seal Commercial Transport and/or Heavy Duty Mechanic Trades Qualification from technical/trades college;
- A minimum of 6 months’ experience and on the job training as a qualified Trades mechanic;
- Valid B.C. Class 3 Driver’s license with air brake endorsement or out of province equivalent and a safe driving record;
- Demonstrated experience performing repairs on heavy duty equipment (e.g. Backhoes, Excavators);
- Demonstrated experience communicating and interacting directly with customers regarding mechanical matters; and
- Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program certification is an asset.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY AND SKILL
- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing.
- Understands and effectively carries out oral and written instructions.
- Establishes effective working relationships with crew members and others.
- Plans and organizes work projects.
- Maintains records, prepares reports and provides input for estimates of material, equipment and cost.
- Performs skilled mechanical tasks to diagnose, overhaul, repair, maintain and adjust equipment and vehicles.
- Operates a variety of vehicles and equipment and working knowledge of same.
- Performs gas and electric welding tasks.
- Interprets and works from blueprints, drawings and plans.
- Considerable knowledge of methods, techniques, and equipment used in automotive, commercial transport and heavy duty mechanical trades.
- Knowledge of the principles of the operation of gasoline and diesel fuel internal combustion engine.
- Knowledge of Surrey's policies, procedures and standards.
- Knowledge of applicable safety regulations.
- Physical coordination necessary to carry out the duties of the position.
Please apply to this vacancy on our careers website at: www.surrey.ca/careers
For more information, please contact: Manpreet Gill, Human Resources at (604) 598-5872 or email at MGill@Surrey.ca . Main address is: 13450 104th Avenue, Surrey, B.C. V3T 1V8.
Location: Surrey, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Mechanics & Vehicle Maintenance
Posted: May 18, 2018, 10:53 am
Expires: June 18, 2018, 4:30 pm