City of Surrey
Fire Radio Operators (Auxiliary)
The Surrey Fire Service maintains one of the largest Fire Dispatch Centres in British Columbia, servicing Surrey residents and 34 cities across British Columbia, and initiating a projected 80,000 incidents annually. Radio Operators are responsible for receiving and transmitting all fire related emergency, rescue and medical communications as well as after-hours public works and Bylaws for the City and its clients.
The successful applicants should have the following preferred qualifications:
- Prior experience in a related dispatch field (Emergency Services)
- Relevant related courses (i.e. Kwantlen College Public Safety Communications Program)
- Strong customer service skills including public inquiries and complaint handling
- Window based computer skills
- 40 wpm keyboarding (tested)
- Strong team skills
- Strong communication skills with a command of the English language
- Able to sit or stand at a computer workstation for 12 hour shifts
- Available to work weekends, weekdays, evenings, statutory holidays and peak times (Summer and Christmas)
- Open availability for short-term callouts
- Multi-tasking skills
- Typing and CritiCall testing
- Psychometric Analysis
For more information regarding these steps please refer to the Surrey Fire Services – Communication website at: http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/4600.aspx
Due to servicing diverse communities, fluency in other language(s) would be considered an asset.
This is a part time position, with no guarantee of hours, working anywhere from 0 to 48 hours per week. This position requires completion of a police information check.
If you are interested in this position, please apply online at www.surreycareers.ca.