One of the sunniest regions in BC's Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities - Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
Curatorial Assistant Summer Student
The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals who are seeking for a progressive mentoring experience as part of their overall education as heritage and museum professionals. The Delta Museum is in the process of revitalizing its services and delivery model. As part of this process, the items in the collection were moved to a storage facility and are being assessed for their future relevance, significance and representativeness to the current collection plan. This position offers students opportunity to acquire skills in the care and maintenance of collections while using an innovative asset assessment tool.
By the end of the 12 week position, the following measurable outcomes should be realized:
- Evaluation of 80 items in the collection using the Heritage Asset Assessment Tool designed by staff as defined by the Collection Plan
- Special conservation and storage of 1 item in the collection that is currently in need of better conservation
- Photographing 200 items for inclusion in both a digital database and hard copy records
- Assisting in the recruitment and acquisition of artefacts identified as necessary to the overall representation of Delta’s identity
Candidate Profile: This position is ideal for candidates who are currently enrolled in a post-secondary museum studies, archaeology, history, archives management or other social sciences program.
Expected skills for the position include:
- Familiarity with the local history of Delta, and its place in the general historic trends of BC and Canada
- Familiarity with artefacts, their use, care and identification
- Use of evaluation methods for artefacts
- Familiarity with word processing, database, and spreadsheet programs
- Familiarity with use of photography protocols for objects
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds [22.3 Kg]
To be considered for this opportunity you must meet the requirements of the Young Canada Works (YCW) program: You are between the ages of 15-30; You have been a full time student in the semester preceding the YCW job; and you intend to return to full time studies in the semester following your YCW job. A valid Class 5 British Columbia driver’s license is required.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis up until the closing date of the posting.
The City of Delta provides a competitive salary of $22.98 plus 12% in lieu of benefits. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment, to competition #18-68 EX (B) by May 25, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted. Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets must be submitted with your application. Preferred candidates will be required to submit a Police Information Check.
City of Delta
Attention: Human Resources
4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent, Delta, BC V4K 3E2