Regional Planner I
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
Our Parks, Planning and Environment Department is seeking a Regional Planner I who will represent Metro Vancouver in a professional capacity while leading projects, undertaking research and building on the team’s role as a convener of our local partners in community building, while providing expertise on planning policy, goals and objectives and regulations as they relate to regional planning.
You are a professional who:
- Collaborates well with others.
- Thrives in high functioning team environments.
- Appreciates the need for long range planning and can communicate with a narrative that provides context and perspective.
- Enjoys working on significant and meaningful projects that will make a difference to our beautiful region.
- Establishes and maintains positive and productive working relationships with planners, engineers, consultants, municipal and other levels of government and non-governmental organizations and can represent Metro Vancouver on various projects, committees and task forces.
In this role, you will:
- Perform specialized regional planning services tasks entailing the development of work plans, research, comprehensive report writing, development and preparation of policy proposals, and the follow-up and processing of the results of decisions from technical and political committees relative to their consideration of regional planning and growth management policy proposals.
- Participate in the development, maintenance and operation of regional transportation, development and demographic computer models; interpret results of same to political and technical committees, municipal staffs and others.
- Act in a liaison capacity between consultants, municipalities and Metro Vancouver to facilitate effective integration of project schedules; maintain liaison with various internal and external contacts concerned with municipal and transportation planning and regional growth management issues and trends.
- Attend related internal and external meetings and, as required, represents the Department to provide technical and professional advice on policy, goals and objectives, and regulations as they relate to regional planning and associated issues.
- Develop project specific computerized applications and programs for departmental use.
- Prepare and present, as required verbal and audio-visual presentations and related material and displays on regional planning programs and projects.
- Assign, check and supervise the work of one or more technical and clerical staff engaged in research projects.
- Conduct regional growth management studies and prepares detailed reports resulting from such studies.
- Perform related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- University graduation in Regional, Urban Planning or Transportation Planning at the Masters level and sound related experience; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Planning Institute of British Columbia.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, techniques, methods and procedures applicable to municipal and transportation planning and regional development.
- Considerable knowledge of the policies, rules and regulations governing the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of the legal aspects of municipal development and of the by‑laws and legislation related to planning and regional development activities performed.
- Considerable knowledge of computer operations and practices where applicable and of current literature, trends and developments in fields related to the work.
- Ability to perform professional regional planning work under general supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to assign and supervise the work of one or more subordinates engaged in technical and clerical work.
- Skill in the operation of equipment used in the work, including the operation of computer modelling where applicable.
- Driver's Licence for the Province of British Columbia.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by May 31, 2018.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development,Transportation & Highways
Posted: May 17, 2018, 1:58 pm
Expires: May 31, 2018, 4:30 pm