Construction Assistant (Project Coordinator)
Requisition ID: 1601
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This position Project Coordinator will be involved in planning, development, and implementation of projects to a wide variety of civic buildings and parkade structures involving various building systems including: HVAC, mechanical, electrical, building envelopes, building interiors, structural concrete repairs and site services.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Manager, Capital Maintenance, the position is responsible for:
- assisting with the development of the Capital Maintenance Program by conducting audits and validating projects
- preparing or overseeing the preparation of designs specifications
- contract documents
- project implementation schedules
- soliciting and evaluating quotations, bids, or tenders
- coordinating and managing the project
- providing liaison between contractors, consultants and clients
- performing periodic and final inspections of work for compliance with contract documents
- recommending approval of payments
- coordinating handover and commissioning activities
- other duties as required.
A diploma (Civil or Building Engineering Technology) or equivalent specialization from an accredited Technical School is preferred. A minimum of 5 year’s experience at a sub-professional level is required. Candidates must have considerable related technical knowledge of the principles (civil engineering), project planning and development, and the City of Vancouver Building/Development Permit processes. Experience in project coordination or construction project management is required.
Other qualifications required:
- ability to prepare technical drawings and specifications
- conduct equipment and general condition audits
- prepare and administer basic consultant agreements and construction contracts
- writing clear, concise reports
- strong interpersonal skills to deal effectively and cooperatively with others and;
- additional technical courses and experience in the fields of building envelope technology (roof, window, wall systems replacement, traffic membranes), HVAC and mechanical systems, or electrical systems would be advantageous.
Computer skills required for this position include:
- MS Word, Excel, MS Project, and AutoCAD.experience with SAP-purchasing module is preferable.
- Local area travel to job sites is a requirement of this position. A valid BC Driver’s License is required. the license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet the operation requirements of the department.
An Enhanced Reliability Check Clearance is a requirement of this position.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $37.23 to $43.95 per hour
Application Close: June 6, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.