Manager, Collection Services
The City of New Westminster has an exciting opportunity available for a full-time Manager, Collection Services to join the Finance management team. Reporting to the Director of Finance, this position will be responsible for:
- Managing and coordinating the meter reading, billing and collection services related to property tax, water, sewer, solid waste and electric utility revenue generation.
- Overseeing and coordinating property tax collection in compliance with legislation.
- Preparing and distributing accurate billing.
- Making application for payment of grants in lieu of property taxes.
- Reviewing applications for tax exemption.
- Carrying out property tax sales and remitting collected taxes.
- As part of the Senior Management team within Finance, you will also be involved in the development and implementation of departmental and strategic city initiatives.
- Completion of a University Degree in Business Administration and/or Finance; a recognized professional accounting designation plus a minimum of five years related experience in a Municipal Finance field, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of the legislation, policies, practices and standards governing collection services pertaining to municipal taxes, utilities, revenues and charges.
- Ability to ensure all statutory requirements are met in connection with the annual setting of taxation rates and tax sale of properties and to administer tax sale operations.
- Skill in the evaluation of legislative, assessment roll and other related changes related to setting municipal tax and utility rates.
- A track record of making recommendations for amendments to bylaws and policies; and the ability to write and present bylaws and reports to Council.
- Proven ability to develop and foster professional liaison with various levels of government, and outside agencies such as BC Assessment, BC Hydro, and financial institutions.
- Sound people leadership skills to manage, train, motivate and direct and evaluate a team of unionized support staff engaged in the performance of all billing/collection and meter reading services.
- Effective problem-solving and decision making skills and ability to effectively resolve customer complaints and to employ service excellence principles.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in working with fully integrated customer information and billing systems including the ability to identify and implement system enhancements.
- Proven experience in developing, monitoring and managing capital and operating budgets.
- A strong technical background in dealing with various software interfaces in relation to accounts receivable subledgers and general ledger.
- Membership in a recognized professional accounting society or association.
The City of New Westminster offers a very competitive salary & comprehensive benefits package.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please apply by sending your resume and cover letter quoting competition #18-64, no later than June 7, 2018 to the following:
Human Resources Department City of New Westminster
511 Royal Avenue
New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9
Fax: 604-527-4619 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.