Program Assistant II - Summer Unlimited (REPOST)
Requisition ID: 10462
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Summer Unlimited program is a citywide program for youth with disabilities. The program runs out of Britannia Community Centre and runs for eight (8) weeks, Monday to Friday.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Working as a key member for the Adapted Recreation team, the Program Assistant II (PA II) Summer Unlimited position is responsible for assisting with programming fun, age appropriate activities and out-trips for youth with disabilities.
Reporting to the Program Assistant III, the Britannia Community Services Youth Programmer and the Access Services Recreation Programmer II the successful candidate will assist with camper assessments to determine suitability of camp for children and maintain regular and respectful contact with parents and guardians of participants.
The successful candidate will participate in the mentoring and evaluation of volunteers assisting with camp and may also share driving duties of the 20 person accessible van.
This auxiliary position runs out of Britannia Community Centre for 8 weeks during the summer months Monday to Friday.
The position begins full-time June 18, 2018.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of grade 12 and some related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Working towards an approved diploma in Therapeutic Recreation or a related discipline and a minimum of six months related part-time experience in recreation with an emphasis on working with people with disabilities or an equivalent combination of training and experience is preferred.
- Current and valid First Aid Level 1 is required. (Applicants must attach a copy of their First Aid to their application)
- Current and valid Class 4 Driver’s License is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of the behavior, needs and interests typical of participants of all ages including adults.
- Working knowledge of the practices, procedures and equipment used in playground recreational programs and activities.
- Working knowledge of the safety practices, policies, regulations and rules applicable to the work performed.
- Some knowledge of the fundamentals of program leadership.
- Some knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Ability to effectively monitor activities and the behaviour of participants.
- Ability to assist in the planning and carrying out of special events or programs.
- Ability to lead groups and provide basic skills instructions in various activities.
- Ability to collect fees, issue receipts and balance cash.
- Ability to render basic first aid as required.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationship with other facility staff and with parents.
Driver's License and Police Record Checks:
- A Police Record Check is a requirement of the position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
- Class 4 Driver's License is preferred.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: June 18, 2018
Position End Date: August 24, 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-012: $22.04 to $25.84 per hour