School District 69 (Qualicum) is centrally situated on east Vancouver Island and covers the area of Nanoose Bay to Bowser and spans from Errington across the Strait of Georgia to Lasqueti Island. We serve a student population of approximately 4000 students. School District 69 (Qualicum) consists of eight elementary schools (Grades K-7), two secondary schools (Grade 8-12), an alternate school (PASS/Woodwinds) and a Distributed Learning program to support home-learning families called the Collaborative Education Alternative Program (CEAP). False Bay School on Lasqueti Island is entirely off-grid with an immense solar project recently completed. School District 69 (Qualicum) also embraces many community organizations through various school programs. The area’s natural beauty, never-ending beaches, mild climate and small-town charm make it a popular tourist destination and a great opportunity to have a career in paradise.
School District No. 69 (Qualicum)
Information Technology (IT) Manager
The Information Technology (IT) Manager has responsibility for the design, development, implementation and the maintenance of a variety of applications used within the District. The Manager will strategically plan for and respond to technological advances in order to realize their educational potential. The responsibilities include recommending district policy, developing and implementing technology plans for the district and with schools, and supervising the work of the technical staff and other trades as needed for projects. The Manager will ensure the efficient provision of technological support service in response to the needs of schools and administrative offices. Considerable contact is required with school administrators and other district managers to evaluate systems needs and provide advice and support. This position reports directly to the Assistant Superintendent of Schools.
The Specific Responsibility’s include:
Designs, Develops, Implements, Maintains, and Supports a Variety of Applications used within the District:
- Collaborates on the development and maintenance of technical design standards, procedures and guidelines;
- Oversees the development and support of enterprise portals for both Instructional and Corporate Services;
- Designs, implements and maintains the infrastructure that delivers the School District’s public Web presence;
- Works with other IT staff on orientation sessions.
- Provides end-user support for the School District’s Web site Content Administrators;
- Performs cost-benefit analyses of proposed Web implementations, enhancements, and modifications;
- Tests, and implements system migrations/upgrades on an ongoing basis;
- Tracks and evaluates new standards, technologies and trends in Web architecture, development, design, and delivery;
- Develops technical and end-user documentation relevant to the Web-based systems in the School District;
- Provides training, mentorship and guidance to other IT staff.
- Develop a plan for deployment and training which will support implementation of an information system.
- Identifies, recommends, and prioritizes new Web features and Applications in collaboration with School District staff;
- Collaborates in establishing policies and procedures for publishing Web pages and applications in conjunction with the content creators;
- Communicates and co-ordinates the architecture and strategy with the content creators throughout the School District;
- Plans, implements, and maintains the District’s internal wired and wireless networks and connectivity;
- Plans, implements, and maintains systems to provide for data protection, information security and business continuity for the District;
- Designs, develops, implements and manages an infrastructure for the District’s web presence and internal portal which enables school and district staff to communicate directly with the community through the use of distributed content management in conjunction with standardized web sites;
- Collaborates with external and third party service providers to deliver Information Technology services to the District.
- Researches, recommends, and implements new solutions to meet user requirements;
- Works with staff to develop and implement technical solutions.
- Determines the present and future needs of the District for information technology, develops short and long term programs to meet such needs, acts as a resource person to schools and senior management staff to evaluate systems and recommend appropriate changes.
- Provide training and support for all learners in the organization.
- Assists the Educational Tech Committee ensure there is integration of technology with all curricular and program directions.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Information Technology (IT) Department;
- Direct responsibility for the supervision and evaluation of a small team of IT Technicians.
- Manages the development cycle of various applications;
- Plans and manages system migrations and upgrades;
- Seeks to ensure a balance is struck between technical requirements and educational imperatives;
- Supervise projects as necessary on an ongoing basis.
- Develop and plan the School District Technology budget for infrastructure and daily operations.
- Develops and oversees all District procedures;
- Oversees School District regulations around compliance for all applications and procedures;
- Ensure all School District data is secure;
- Ensure the District is compliant for all Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Acts and Regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A degree or diploma in Business, Computer Science, or IT-related discipline;
- Between 5 and 10 years’ experience in IT Service Delivery, IT Project Management, or Business Analysis with a minimum of 3 years in a leadership role;
- PMI certificate would be an asset, CAPM, PMP or PMI-PBA;
- The ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, staff and administration;
- A commitment to meaningful consultation and collaboration with district staff;
- Experience working in an effective team environment;
- Experience working in public education is considered an asset.
Please apply by June 4th, 2018 via on line at www.makeafuture.ca/qualicum
School District 69 (Qualicum)
Director of Human Resources - School District 69 (Qualicum)
100 Jensen Ave. East, Box 430, Parksville, BC V9P 2G5
Fax: (250) 954-1259
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Information Technology
Posted: May 15, 2018, 2:41 pm
Expires: June 4, 2018, 4:30 pm