Compensation Analyst II
Requisition ID: 10960
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
As a Compensation Analyst, you will work collaboratively on a team of compensation and benefits professionals providing expertise in the development, implementation and administration of compensation programs.
Reporting to the Manager, Compensation & Benefits, the Compensation Analyst evaluates exempt and unionized jobs and classifications while liaising with employees, managers, union representatives and Human Resources staff. An incumbent provides advice to business unit managers on organization design and compensation and benefits issues, collects and analyzes compensation and benefits data, and prepares reports for decision makers. The ideal candidate for this opportunity is an analytical thinker with excellent communication skills with experience in job evaluation and financial modelling.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Evaluates exempt jobs and liaises with managers regarding outcome.
- Conducts union job evaluation, interviewing employees and supervisors and analysing class specifications, writing letters to union explaining outcome and rationale of job evaluation.
- Maintains database of job descriptions, job classifications and job evaluation results.
- Prepares reports and recommendations on compensation trends and issues.
- Performs market salary analysis and updates the salary structure in consultation with the Manager, Compensation & Benefits and the Corporate Management Team.
- Conducts and participates in compensation surveys.
- Participates in developing and streamlining policy and procedures.
- Performs financial modelling and cost analysis.
- Prepares a variety of related reports, such as creating retirement reports for employees or validating employees on Long Term Disability.
- Calculates eligible service for Purchase of Service Applications; completes documentation and liaises with employee, pension plan office and Payroll.
- Responds to a variety of service inquires.
- Prepare retirement information for employees and departments, calculating last day worked based on work schedule and quota banks as required.
- Completes AUX pension plan enrollment as required.
- Assists in preparation for presentations and workshops on pensions and financial planning for retirement.
- Keeps apprised of industry trends and legislations as it relates to pension and benefits.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements
- Post-secondary degree in business or related subject , plus a minimum of three years of experience in compensation, job evaluation and/or financial analysis; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills with demonstrated ability to provide high level summaries for management decision-making.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, specifically in Excel (pivot tables, financial modelling) is preferred.
- Experience with point factor and classification job evaluation is preferred.
- Experience creating salary structures is preferred.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Orientation to detail, but able to see the big picture.
- Ability to communicate clearly, persuasively, and assertively with all levels of staff.
- Ability to work on multiple files and projects concurrently, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to work collaboratively and interact respectfully.
Business Unit/Department: Human Resources (1020)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May 2018
Application Close: May 23, 2018