City of Surrey
Residential Plan Reviewer (Plan Checker 1)
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
As a member of the Planning & Development Department’s Building Division team, the Plan Checker 1 will be primarily responsible for the following duties in relation to single family dwellings, duplexes, buildings, and related accessory building construction:
- Review of proposed building designs, materials, and devices for compliance with related bylaws, regulations, and code.
- Process, accept, or reject proposed building construction plans.
- Provide information services to the public on technical, regulatory, and Building Code requirements.
- Prepare related correspondence and reports.
Some of the essential knowledge, skills, and abilities that the successful candidate will possess include the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and to use tact when dealing effectively with developers, contractors, and other members of the public. The Plan Checker 1 will be skilled in reading and interpreting building construction plans and drawings; as well as, have relevant knowledge of bylaws, regulations, codes, policies, procedures, and standards.
- The successful candidate will have completed a Diploma in Building Technology plus some related experience.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Directly related work experience with a municipality or consulting firm on Part 9 of the BC Building Code is considered an asset.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca