Manager, Strategic Business Advisory
Requisition ID: 9763
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proudto be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Manager, Strategic Business Advisory is an internal management consultant, playing a critically important leadership role within the organisation as a business planning and strategy subject matter expert. This position is a member of a small, agile team that provides sophisticated business, strategic and financial advice to City staff and senior management on a broad range of projects and initiatives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The Manager, Strategic Business Advisory manages a portfolio of concurrent projects, playing leadership and/or support roles that could include:
- leading business reviews and/or the development of business plans for a diverse range of the City's operational areas,
- evaluating business proposals and/or negotiating terms of complex business relationships for new business areas,
- providing business strategy and execution advice to managers of a wide variety of City operations, and/or
- leading complex, high-impact projects involving cross-departmental teams, and providing recommendations to senior management based on options development and analysis.
Within this general framework, the specific duties of this role are relatively dynamic, and change over time with the operational priorities and business needs of the organisation.
Education and Experience
- A post-graduate degree in Business Administration or Public Administration, or equivalent (e.g., MBA, MPA).
- Minimum eight years' experience working in a corporate or institutional environment at an intermediate or senior level, with increasing responsibility for complex business strategy and/or business planning-related work.
- Significant experience working directly with senior management, boards of directors or other governance bodies.
- Experience working as a management consultant, working in an environment that balances public policy and business objectives, and/or knowledge of or experience with local government issues are all considered assets for this position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven business planning, business analysis, business case preparation/evaluation and financial analysis/modelling skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, balancing independence, initiative and decisiveness with good judgement and a collaborative approach.
- Strong research, analytical and problem-solving skills that can be applied to complex, multi-faceted issues, with the ability to think objectively and innovatively, and to present solutions in clear and compelling terms.
- Strong facilitation skills, with the ability to bring together people with a diverse set of interests, styles and areas of expertise, and align them toward a unified goal.
- An aptitude for and interest in learning about a wide variety of topics.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to concurrently manage multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- Superior written communication, verbal communication and presentation skills, as well as a high level of competency in office productivity tools and technology.
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Business Plan (1150)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close: May 27, 2018
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.