Manager, Security Systems Infrastructure and Design
Requisition ID: 10904
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Manager, Security Systems, Infrastructure and Design provides strategic and operational management pertaining to the City’s security systems, security technology and protection design programs. This includes the oversight and management of all City security systems and physical security assets.
This position provides technical expertise and leadership with respect to the planning, maintenance and procurement of all security assets including providing advice in the areas of infrastructure planning, design and construction. Provides leadership while developing, implementing and administering systems processes related to the security technology program.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
This position reports to the Chief Security Officer, City of Vancouver. The Manager, Security Systems, Infrastructure and Design provides leadership, oversight and direction to one direct report, the Physical Security Specialist. In addition, this position will liaise with local, provincial and federal law enforcement and other related corporate and government agencies.
Leadership & Management
- Provides advice and leadership on security systems and infrastructure including input on design and construction of City buildings and other assets.
- Develops and prioritizes capital infrastructure renewal plans in consultation with Facilities Planning and Development; participates as a member of project teams as a subject matter expert within area of expertise.
- Reviews departmental operations and develops appropriate systems and processes to ensure effective and efficient operation of the program.
- Manages assigned projects; liaises with stakeholders and coordinates the activities of staff, consultants, and contractors to ensure project requirements are met and facilities impacts are minimized.
- Develops and manages a Physical Security Specialist including selection, coaching, performance management, training and development.
- Develops and implements a life-cycle management program for all security assets including procurement, maintenance and replacement.
- Applies planning/scheduling techniques and risk-mitigation strategies to ensure effective delivery of preventive, predictive and responsive maintenance of security assets.
- Establishes, develops and implements goals, objectives and operational requirements for security systems and assets consistent with the City’s strategic and operational objectives.
- Participates in the development and activation of emergency management and business continuity plans.
Policies & Practices
- Develops and administers training, education, and awareness programs relating to the use of security related systems and processes for the City.
- Oversees the development and continuous improvement of policies, procedures, and programs in accordance with applicable codes, regulations, and standards.
- Develops and manages operating budgets and long-term capital plans for security asset additions, replacements and maintenance.
- Oversees Capital budgets for projects by developing budget, monitoring expenditures, performing variance analysis and making necessary amendments.
- Develops and implements standardized technical platforms and approval process for Photo ID, access control, CCTV, panic duress/intrusion and other related operational technologies.
- Develops security design standards and technology platforms for capital projects including new and existing buildings.
- Provides support in specific areas such as, systems commissioning, contract management, and safety or integrity management.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education & Experience
- Post-secondary education in a related field (minimum 2-year diploma) or equivalent education and experience
- Previous management and supervision experience preferred.
- Industry recognized professional certification in project management, security systems and protection design or Information Technology preferred.
- Extensive experience (minimum 6 to 8 years) managing security assets and systems in both contract and corporate environments.
- Membership in a professional association such as the American Society of Industrialized Security (ASIS), the Association of Threat Assessment Professionals (ATAP), or a similar recognized industry organization.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to develop and foster relationships and collaborate with client groups and colleagues
- A broad based knowledge of principles and techniques related to fire safety planning
- Working knowledge of related legislation and statutes including
- Subject matter expertise of security infrastructure design, assets and systems
- Ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information with a high degree of discretion and impartially
- Ability to converse with, writes reports for, and create/deliver presentations in ways that support problem solving and planning
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion and work effectively within a team environment
- Ability to prepare and deliver training material
- Ability to supervise and coordinate subordinate staff in a variety of work locations
- Skilled in conflict resolution and the ability to identify potential pitfalls and problems areas
- Good computer skills and working knowledge of computer information access and protection
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Ability to pass and maintain a criminal record check
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May 2018
Application Close: May 27, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.