Manager, Business Services
Requisition ID: 11050
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Manager, Business Services works closely with the DBL Senior Leadership team to address complex, multi-faceted business issues and risks, manage internal communications and engagement strategies, and ensure all support activities are proactive and efficient.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reports to the Director, Operations and partners with the senior leadership team to support the department’s operational goals and objectives. Oversees an administrative services team including an administrative manager and 11 clerical staff who provide a broad range of services to the department. The incumbent also liaises directly with a wide variety of external stakeholders, such as MLAs, developers, business owners, residents and other public and private sector organizations. Other internal key contacts include Corporate Communications, HR, Internal Audit, Risk Management, Finance and Real Estate and Facilities Management (REFM).
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Issues and Risk Management
- Serves as liaison for DBL stakeholder issues and complaints management.
- Represents Director of Operations and/or General Manager in mediating and resolving issues with MLAs, developers, business owners, public agencies, or citizens. Resolves issues and complaints directly, or collaborates with the management team to gather information, assess emerging issues, and successfully resolve issues and complaints within agreed timeframes.
- Oversees administration of the issues management process to ensure progress, escalation, as required, and effective resolution. Provides regular updates and reports to the Director, Operations and General Manager.
- Coordinates all responses to ensure consistent DBL voice and messaging. Coaches and mentors managers communicating directly with external parties to ensure clear and consistent messaging to external audiences.
- Ensures operational requirements and City of Vancouver policies are factored into responses and decisions.
- Supports the Director of Operations to ensure that the DBL Risk Management plan is regularly refreshed, and that the high priority items have clear risk mitigation & management plans.
- Develops and maintains a DBL business continuity plan that interfaces with other occupants as appropriate.
- Ensures that DBL processes are aligned with those of City Clerks, 3-1-1, and other departments as appropriate.
Employee Engagement & Internal Communications
- Develops and delivers integrated DBL engagement strategies and annual communications plan to build a culture that fosters employee engagement and commitment and supports achievement of the DBL business objectives while complimenting the broader CoV Engagement plan. Ensure plans and results are communicated broadly to the DBL Senior Management Team.
- Partners with managers across DBL to assess engagement levels, capture employee feedback and suggestions, and supports managers to develop and implement specific employee engagement plans relevant to their particular operational context.
- Designs, manages and oversees implementation of communication programs, strategies and initiatives for DBL.
- Coordinates writing and editing of a wide range of communications materials, including articles and web content.
- Provides advice to and support for senior leaders around key messages to strengthen internal communications.
Administrative Support Services
- Provides direction, coaching, and mentoring to the administrative team.
- Supports the Administrative Manager in managing the day to day activities of the administrative team, assisting in recruitment and selection, performance management, training, workload management and discipline as required.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of administrative standard operating procedures for DBL, including raised RTS & CCFs procedure to confirm that council processes are followed smoothly.
- Ensures effective coordination with DBL managers and City of Vancouver administrative policy and procedures, such as ensuring that recruitment and on-boarding are completed effectively and efficiently for all new employees.
- Reviews reports, presentations and other materials for Council to ensure submission in a timely and effective manner.
- Oversees updates and consolidation of Annual Fee Report(s) in coordination with administrative team.
- Supports Director of Operations in reviewing and updating DBL long term office space plan and budgeting; oversees inter office moves and space planning issues.
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree in Business Administration, Commerce or related field.
- A minimum of seven years’ experience in a management role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, having experience in both internal and external communications issues.
- Proven ability in facilitating interest based conflict resolution and influencing multiple stakeholders at senior levels within the City and the community.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically address complex, multi-faceted business problems through data analysis, research, scenario modeling.
- Proven experience in making recommendations within the broad corporate context taking into consideration interdependencies among policies and initiatives.
- Ability to prepare and deliver clear and concise reports on complex technical and policy issues, suitable to a variety of audiences from major community, business groups to City Council.
- Ability to exercise substantial discretion and deal with sensitive and confidential material in support of senior management, internal audit and other sensitive areas of City business.
- Knowledge or experience working in an environment that balances public policy and business objectives, and/or knowledge of or experience with local government issues would be considered an asset.
- Ability to act as a business advisor of senior management.
- Ability to work collaboratively and persuasively and to promote a supportive, respectful and safe work environment.
- Ability to manage a changing workload, determine priorities and meet goals in a timely manner.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and promote productive and coordinated teams both within and between work groups.
- Ability to create a vision with clear expectations for staff and to provide the leadership necessary to set performance goals and coach employees to achieve desired results.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage highly varied work staff and provide training where necessary.
- Knowledge in human resources practices, collective agreements and goals of the City, with a specific focus on labour relations, recruitment and leading and managing employees.
Business Unit/Department: Development Services, Building & Licencing (1250)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2018
Application Close: May 25, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.