$35.00-$38.81/hr Level 1-4
Competition No. 2018-33
Engineering Technologist - Construction Surveyor
The Municipality of North Cowichan invites applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Engineering Technologist on a temporary basis for approximately 7 months (from May to December 2018) or upon the return of the incumbent, whichever should occur first.
This is an opportunity for a highly motivated individual to perform technical functions of a civil engineering nature. The incumbent will perform a variety of assignments, including:
- topographic surveys and construction layout;
- use of AutoCAD and AutoDesk programs to design, produce, maintain and plot engineering drawings and maps;
- provide topographic and cross-section surveys as required for engineering designs;
- collect, organize and record geographic information;
- calculate layout from digital design files;
- generate and maintain record drawings by tracking and capturing as-built data such as inverts, lengths, coordinates, and work type;
- provide work control lines and elevations as required for accurate measurement and construction;
- traffic count data collection and processing; and
- other duties as required from time to time.
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Civil Engineering Technology Diploma, together with a minimum of two (2) years of post-diploma relevant engineering experience.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- Demonstrable skills with the use of spreadsheet, word processing, database programs and computer file organization.
- Demonstrable advanced AutoCad skills and ability to use mapping and GIS programs in an engineering environment.
- Good organizational and interpersonal communications skills.
- Independence of judgment and capability of working with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrable ability to keep accurate records and notes and to prepare design and as-built (record) drawings, service cards, and other utility records using Microsoft Office, AutoCad and AutoDesk programs.
- Demonstrable ability to use a total station survey instrument, a level and data logger.
- Demonstrable ability to prepare grade sheets, progress certificates, technical reports and inspection reports.
- Demonstrable ability to use reprographics tools.
- Demonstrable ability to review applications for building, development, driveway, blasting, and construction permits, service requests, and other engineering approvals.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position.A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
Please submit cover letter and resume clearly detailing how your skills, qualifications and abilities match those required for this position. If you will be sending your application by way of email, PDF format is preferred.
Please reply to the undersigned, quoting the competition number and position title.
Human Resources Department
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.