Superintendent II, Waterwork Operations
Requisition ID: 10966
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
As a member of the senior management team within Waterworks Operations, your responsibilities will include: supervision of work groups who are instrumental in building and maintaining Vancouver's water systems; implementation of innovative techniques in the field and office to ensure branch operations are safe, efficient, and cost-effective; application of progressive leadership and management practices and the development, monitoring and management of the annual budgets as well as the development of comprehensive training programs.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate examples of independent judgment, the ability to present technical reports and will deal effectively with grievance processes, performance management, coaching and other personnel issues. In addition, the successful applicant will be able to demonstrate the ability to implement change in an organization and be able to provide specific examples of where they have applied that ability.
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by technical, business management and leadership courses; a related degree or diploma is preferred with 5 - 7 years of relevant experience.
- Good understanding of waterworks construction and maintenance techniques, collective agreement interpretation, WorkSafeBC regulations and relevant Occupational Health and Safety standards are required.
- Experience dealing with complex communication challenges, as well as labour relations issues including hiring practices, performance management, effective supervision, discipline and grievance handling is required.
- Experience in the development and monitoring of annual budgets, ability to determine priorities, and meet goals in a timely manner.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, coaching and team-building skills are required, strong written and verbal communication skills are also important.
- Good computer skills are required with preference given to those with experience in using Hansen (or related asset management software); a working knowledge of SAP is an asset.
- A valid B.C. driver's licence is required. The licence must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close: May 21, 2018
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.