City of Williams Lake
Utility Operator 3
Title: Utility Operator 3
Department: Municipal Services-Water/Waste Division
Current rate of pay: $33.50 per hour plus benefits
Hours of work: 40 hours per week, shift work and overtime as required including evenings/weekends. Required to participate in on call rotation.
General Statement of Duties:
The incumbent is responsible for carrying out instructions as required within the Water/ Waste Division of the Municipal Services Department.
The incumbent is responsible to the Director of Municipal Services under the direction of the Manager, Water & Waste and/or designate.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the performance of skilled maintenance and repair work of a complex nature in relation to construction, repair and maintenance within the Water and Waste Division.
- Ability to perform and supervise a crew in the maintenance and repairs of all aspects of the Water Distribution, Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water Collection systems.
- Ensures the location of gas, telephone, power, television and other utility lines have been determined from the appropriate sources prior to excavation.
- Responsible for all members of the crew to ensure that materials removed from Stores to undertake project or maintenance work are correctly booked out as required by the Purchasing Agent.
- Responsible for the crew to ensure that safe work practices are used on the job site. Shall work within the safety guidelines as established by the City, Work Safe BC and assists in the development of safer and more efficient methods of work.
- Shall respond to call-out for emergency maintenance and repair work at short notice and work in inclement weather conditions.
- Shall be required to work shift work as scheduled and overtime as required.
- Responsible for assisting in the training of new employees to familiarize them with Municipal work.
- Other duties as may be assigned to assist with the City’s day to day operations.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Minimum Grade XII
- Valid B.C. Driver's License - Class 3 with Air Endorsement.
- Water Distribution Level III Certification of Qualification or Competency from Environmental Operators Certification Program (EOCP).
- Wastewater Collection Level II Certification of Qualification or Competency from Environmental Operators Certification Program.
- Minimum of 5 years previous experience in Municipal Water Distribution & Waste Water Collection maintenance with the last year working as a Level II EOCP Operator or higher; or related water & sewer experience.
- Shall be proficient and safely operate all equipment within the Water/Waste Division.
- Shall be capable of understanding, reporting verbally and by written report in English and accept and comprehend verbal instructions.
- Must be willing to undertake additional training in the correct operation of new tools and equipment with respect to water distribution and waste water collection.
- Must undertake additional training and certification with respect to water distribution and waste water collection certification, as a statutory requirement under the Drinking Water Protection Act
- Shall be required to participate as a member of the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) standby group
- Shall have the ability to lead a crew and work cohesively with others as a team.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter outlining qualifications, experience, copies of applicable certifications, and letters of reference no later than 4:00 pm, May 23, 2018 to the attention of Ashley Williston, Director of Human Resources, City of Williams Lake, 450 Mart Street, Williams Lake, BC, V2G 1N3 - fax (250) 392-8484, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Williams Lake, BC
Region: North Central / Cariboo
Professional Categories: Public Works & Operations
Posted: May 2, 2018, 12:45 pm
Expires: May 23, 2018, 4:00 pm