Manager, Horticulture Services and Parks & Open Space Planning
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
The City of New Westminster has an exciting new opportunity for a dynamic, passionate and service-oriented individual. Step into a rewarding leadership position as Manager, Horticulture Services and Parks & Open Space Planning, known for its renowned gardens, hanging baskets and beautifully landscaped parks and open spaces. As a key member of the leadership team within the Parks and Recreation Department, this position is accountable and engaged in providing ongoing leadership and management to the horticultural, arboricultural and open space planning for City Parks, greenhouses and lands.
Key accountabilities include:
With overall responsibility for ensuring high-quality customer service, community engagement, effective resource management and effective labour relations within the assigned portfolio, your responsibilities will include:
- Leading and supporting staff in the areas of technical horticulture, arboriculture, planning, and design of parks and other open space.
- Overseeing the development, construction and maintenance of City parks, open spaces, boulevards and other City lands with horticulture and landscaping.
- Developing work plans and allocating resources efficiently to ensure services and initiatives meet community needs.
- Leading or participating in the development of plans for changes to City open spaces, parks and lands.
- Hiring, supervising, training, evaluating and coaching staff, developing work plans and job performance expectations, developing succession programs and initiatives, and managing employee and labour relations issues.
- Researching, analyzing and interpreting information and providing recommendation and advice, preparing long term policy and strategic plans and developing conceptual site plans, specifications related to urban forest management.
- Developing and implementing an Integrated Pest Management Program.
- Leading a team that includes 25 staff (including technical, greenhouse, horticulture, arboriculture, irrigation and maintenance staff).
- Actively participating in the development and delivery of strategic plans, policies and procedures for the division and department and reporting on progress.
- Providing oversight of project management for related capital parks and open space projects, including the design, inspection and overseeing of construction and budget administration.
- Demonstrating effective verbal and written communication skills to provide advice, guidance and policy interpretation on matters related to the portfolio.
- Developing, managing and monitoring multiple budgets and allocating financial assets and resources effectively and ensuring safety practices are undertaken.
- Managing, planning and budgeting for capital projects and sourcing for new products and suppliers to improve efficiencies.
- Providing leadership support for organizational and departmental initiatives as required.
- The successful candidate will use independent judgment, action and initiative in supervising the operations, construction and maintenance of City parks, open spaces, boulevards, and City lands.
Skills & Personal Attributes:
The successful candidate is a progressive, strategic, community-centric and innovative leader with a strong combination of community development, operational management, staff and budget management experience and the ability to maintain and enhance service offerings and business outcomes.
Key experience, skills and knowledge include:
- A track record of successfully providing the community with excellent customer service through engaging staff.
- Strong experience in leading an organization towards a culture of engagement and performance using industry best practices, key performance indicators and continuous process improvement.
- Excellence in relationship development and management.
- Considerable knowledge of the concepts, practices and techniques in horticulture, arboriculture, landscape architecture, urban forestry and parks and open space planning and design, construction as well as understanding of environment, safety, engineering and landscape architecture.
- Strong experience in written and verbal communication.
- Must possess and maintain a valid BC Driver’s License.
Training, Education & Experience:
The preferred candidate will possess: a Degree in Landscape Architecture, Horticultural Sciences or related degree and considerable experience in urban design, landscape architecture, municipal parks planning and development, construction, renovation, urban forest management and maintenance of landscaped and horticulture including 10 years of progressive management and leadership experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The City of New Westminster offers a very competitive salary & comprehensive benefits package.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please apply by sending your resume and cover letter quoting competition #18-62, no later than May 25, 2018 to the following:
Human Resources Department City of New Westminster
511 Royal Avenue
New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9
Fax: (604)527-4619 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.