City of Surrey
Street Operations Manager - Central Area
OverviewThe City of Surrey is a place of innovative transformation and accelerated growth—where the future is limitless and possibilities are endless. If you are excited about helping to build the city of tomorrow—and you share our values of integrity, service, teamwork, innovation and community—join us, today.
The Streets Operations Manager – Central Area is responsible for providing municipal roads and drainage maintenance services throughout the central area of the City of Surrey. As a member of the Engineering-Operations Management Team, the Streets Operations Manager will demonstrate business acumen in the development of business plans, policies, programs, continuous improvement initiatives, all related to the delivery of municipal roads and drainage related maintenance services.
In this position, you will be responsible for:
- Leading and managing a team of field staff in carrying out scheduled and on-demand maintenance works within the City’s engineering right-of-way including, but not limited to, the following:
- Road and sidewalk repairs
- Boulevard maintenance
- Street sanitation including street sweeping, litter and illegal dumping clean-up
- Inspections of development works within the City right-of-way
- Vegetation control
- Ditch and culvert maintenance and service connections
- Drainage main and components inspections and repairs
- Dyke maintenance
- Ensuring safe and reliable service is provided and that emergency response plans are prepared,ensuring conformity to appropriate statutes, and enforcing appropriate by-laws;
- Administering and controlling the City of Surrey’s annual central area Streets budget;
- Implementing innovative roads and drainage maintenance related solutions that embrace environmental, economic and social sustainability;
- Performing various management functions, such as: dealing with disciplinary matters and grievance hearings, maintaining responsibility for financial matters pertaining to division activities, ensuring compliance with Worker's Compensation Legislation, Human Rights Legislation, safety regulations and safe work practices, and maintaining positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contacts and the public.
To be considered for this role, you will have:
- Completed an undergraduate degree or Diploma of Technology from a recognized university, or a combination of related education and experience;
- a minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible management experience, including experience at a management level in a public environment.
- Demonstrated administrative and negotiation skills as well as knowledge of financial management processes and business systems;
- Sound knowledge of labour relations and collective agreement practices and experience in contract preparation and administration, relevant statutes, by-laws and policies, and knowledge and understanding of the occupational hazards, safety precautions, regulations and procedures that is applicable to the area of work; and
- a valid BC driver’s license with a clean driving history is required.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca
Location: Surrey, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Public Works & Operations
Posted: April 24, 2018, 1:55 pm
Expires: May 25, 2018, 4:30 pm