City of Surrey
Parks and Recreation Planner
Regular Full Time
The City of Surrey strives to protect the natural environment while creating and maintaining effective infrastructure and services that meet the current and future needs of the city. As part of that commitment, the Parks, Recreation & Culture Department is seeking a Parks & Recreation Planner to help plan and design the City’s public domain including parks, natural areas, community facilities, urban plazas and streetscape.
The Parks and Recreation Planner will play an integral role as a representative for the Parks, Recreation and Culture department in various projects both internally and externally.
- Draft and implement park policies, guidelines and strategic objectives
- Research innovative ideas, concepts and theories related to park acquisition, design and management
- Work within a team developing land use plans to identify locations and features for new parks
- Collaborate with various stakeholders and the community to plan and design new parks and park management plans
- Lead in preparing sketches, plans, and other materials to support the parks planning process
- Manage the work of consultants, and supervise junior staff
- Review development applications and land development projects to ensure they meet Departmental requirements
- Responding to various public inquiries
- Conducting public meetings
- Leading focus group sessions during planning exercises
- Presenting to the Parks, Recreation and Culture Committee, Committees of Council and stakeholder groups.
As the ideal candidate, you’ll have a strong knowledge of both sustainable planning principles and contemporary approaches to urban planning and design. You have proven leadership skills and the ability to build effective working relationships with both the public and City staff. You can also effectively communicate plans and ideas to a variety of different audiences.
We’re looking for someone who is excited about building communities and has a keen interest in the protection and delivery of parks and public spaces.
You will also have:
- A Master’s Degree in Planning or Landscape Architecture plus a minimum of 5 years of experience in Parks, Recreation and Culture Planning, preferably in the public sector; OR an equivalent relevant combination of education, training and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of computer applications including, AutoCAD, Arc GIS, Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud, and standard office applications.
- Knowledge of sustainable planning principles, the Local Government Act and other applicable legislation as well as landscape design and construction standards.
- Eligibility for registration in the Planning Institute of BC or BC Society of Landscape Architects.
- Have a valid BC Driver’s license with a clean driving record.
Conditions of Employment
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check/Vulnerable Sector Check.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca