Senior Associate, Strategic Business Advisory
Requisition ID: 10994
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Senior Associates, Strategic Business Advisory in the City of Vancouver’s Business Planning and Project Support Office (BPPS) are responsible for managing large and complex business, strategy and service delivery projects within the City of Vancouver. While these projects vary in terms of specific subject matter, they generally result in changes to the way the City delivers service to the public and customers, and/or manages internal operations. They often involve significant financial investment by the City, risks to manage, and a range of team members and stakeholders. Senior Associates, Strategic Business Advisory are privy to sensitive information that often has significant operational and financial implications.
BPPS projects often draw resources from and/or impact multiple business units within the City.
Each Senior Associate, Strategic Business Advisory is responsible for managing a portfolio of projects, with the number of concurrent projects varying, depending upon the size and complexity of each project at any given time. They are expected to manage cross-department project teams to successfully deliver their projects, are responsible for delivering high-quality results within budget and on time.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The Senior Associate, Strategic Business Advisory reports to an Associate Director within the Business Planning and Project Support Office, who is responsible for assigning projects to the Senior Associate, Strategic Business Advisory, overseeing his/her day-to-day work, facilitating with issues when escalation is required, and providing him/her ongoing feedback and mentorship.
In addition to reporting to this functional manager, on any given project, Senior Associates, Strategic Business Advisory will also in most cases report to the Executive Sponsor of that initiative, most often a member of the City’s senior executive. In these instances, the Senior Associate, Strategic Business Advisory takes direction concerning project decisions from the Executive Sponsor.
On most projects, the Senior Associate, Strategic Business Advisory will lead or support a project team, comprised of internal staff from a number of operational business units and/or corporate shared service functions. In addition to this project team, the Senior Associate, Strategic Business Advisory works closely with a range of City staff, which may, depending upon the project, include:
- staff from the City’s operational business units,
- staff from the City’s corporate support functions, e.g., financial planning and analysis, legal services, corporate communications, sustainability, risk management,
- internal policy/subject matter experts,
- internal business/strategy advisors,
- business, research and/or financial analysts,
- external stakeholders, and/or
- third party consultants.
Senior Associates, Strategic Business Advisory are responsible for managing complex business, strategy and service delivery projects within the City of Vancouver. Specific duties will vary from project to project, but will most often include:
- Early scoping of projects to develop scope, budget, schedule, risks and quality standards, using standard project management methodologies and approaches.
- Developing a project charter and a project plan, and maintaining appropriate project documentation over the life of the project, e.g., risk register, issues log, decision/action logs, etc.
- Actively managing a cross-departmental project team, ensuring all involved are aware of their respective responsibilities and are delivering high-quality work according to established schedules and budgets, facilitating conversations to make sure all involved in a given project or work component are appropriately aligned.
- Managing external consultants when they are engaged to support a project, including leading the selection and engagement of consultants, ensuring the appropriate consultant is selected for the work at hand, working closely with that consultant to ensure work is on time, on budget and sufficiently high-quality, making recommendations to extend or terminate a contract
- Providing business advisory input into project elements, such as the development of business plans, options analysis, strategy recommendations, policy development, business model and/or service delivery design.
- Responsibility for project execution according to approved project plan – ensuring project team meets expected timelines, scope, budget, risk mitigation and quality/performance standards, which includes:
- Organising and leading meeting with project team, stakeholders and consultants, and managing actions arising from these meetings
- Facilitating stakeholder discussions to arrive at optimum solutions, strategies and/or action plans
- Identifying and proactively managing project issues, risks and costs
- Regularly reporting on progress against project plan and on specific deliverables to senior management
- Ensuring proper project closeout at completion, including post-project evaluation, recommended changes for future similar projects, and appropriate documentation.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and experience
BPPS Senior Associates, Strategic Business Advisory should have the following education and experience.
- A minimum of a Bachelors' degree in Business Administration, or equivalent.
- Formal training and experience in project management is considered an asset.
- A minimum of eight years’ business advisory and/or project management experience, preferably with a consulting firm, involving complex and multi-faceted business, operations and/or service delivery projects at an intermediate or senior level, with experience working directly with and/or reporting to senior management in a large organisation.
- Experience managing complex multi stakeholder teams.
- Knowledge of the City of Vancouver is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Senior Associates, Strategic Business Advisory should have the following knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Strategic problem solver.
- An analytical thinker who can systematically frame and analyse an issue, opportunity or policy problem, and arrive at a solution that is supported by a balance of facts and good judgment.
- A great communicator.
- The ability to present analyses and solutions in clear and compelling terms, via superior written communication, verbal communication and presentation skills.
- A motivator.
- Strong leadership qualities, with the ability to align and unify a diverse set of individuals to a singular objective, to motivate peers and superiors using indirect influencing skills, and to help reconcile diverging perspectives and resolve interpersonal difficulties among peers.
- Highly organised.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to concurrently manage multiple tasks and competing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Someone who can consistently and effectively manage their own significant to-do list, and as well, help others with theirs.
- A natural project leader.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management methodologies, processes, standards and policies, with a high level of competency in office productivity tools and technology.
- A people person.
- Good at developing and maintaining strong working relationships with technical, professional and operational staff, as well as with senior management.
- A curious mind.
- An aptitude for and interest in learning about a wide variety of topics.
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager (1010)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May 2018
Number of Positions: 2
Application Close: April 29, 2018