Planner III (Rezoning)
Requisition ID: 11036
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This is a senior professional position that involves leading a staff team working on rezoning applications and major projects citywide, and supporting the management of the Rezoning Centre. The work is complex professional city planning work in the investigation and development of solutions with regard to planning matters. The current focus is on rezoning but expertise in policy is also expected.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The work involves supervising a staff team focused on the coordination and review of rezoning applications. You will need the skills to scope a variety of projects, some of which are introduced to Council and often need to be addressed using existing resources within a tight time frame. You will exercise independent judgment in conceptualizing project work, developing and managing work programs, managing staff, liaising with other levels of government, City departments, developers and their consultants as well as community and business groups and facilitating associated public consultation events. Responsibilities include report writing, meeting facilitation, and giving presentations to other staff, management, City Council and the public. The duties require excellent interpersonal skills including facilitation, problem resolution and mentoring.
You can expect to lead or supervise staff processing large and/or complex rezoning applications involving aspects such as heritage retention, affordable housing, and office development, consideration of community benefits, and specialized engagement and consultation processes. Involvement in the development of rezoning policy and district schedules is also expected. Fluency and ability in all areas of the work program of the Division including community plans, policy statements and rezoning is necessary.
Education and Experience:
- A university graduate degree in planning or a related discipline with extensive and progressive municipal experience at a professional level (minimum of 10 years’ experience); or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of City of Vancouver land use policy and regulatory frameworks is required. Demonstrated
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in all of the following areas is highly desired:
- Developing policy and regulation in a multi-stakeholder environment;
- Scoping and developing work programs and managing complex projects and public processes
- Preparing and presenting reports which clearly communicate complex ideas
- Ability to lead and participate on teams involving diverse interest groups using facilitation, conflict resolution and interest based mediation skills to achieve mutually agreeable solutions
- Managing and mentoring staff for greater responsibilities
- Working in a changing environment, while delivering complex projects on time and on budget.
A valid BC Driver’s license is required. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia is desirable.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2018
Position End Date: February, 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-034: $54.26 to $64.19 per hour
Application Close: April 22, 2018