Financial AnalystCompetition No. #2018-02
Officer 1 – Classification Under Review
Salary: $34.44 per hour ($35.39 effective 01Apr18)
VAA is now recruiting for a full-time Financial Analyst to join our team. The Financial Analyst will provide support and expertise to the organization performing a variety of accounting duties with a focus on working closely with staff, to support the development of operating and capital budgets and forecasts, monthly and annual financial statements, and preparation for the annual yearend audit.
This is a union position reporting to the Manager, Finance and Accounting and will normally work a 37.5 hour work week during regular administration office hours.
Education & Experience
The preferred candidate will bring a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Accounting, or equivalent academic prerequisites for the Certified Professional Accountant Professional Education Program (CPA PEP). A minimum of four (4) years of recent and related work-experience in a similar financial analyst role. BC Class 5 Driver’s license is required. Preference will be given to applicants actively pursuing a CPA designation.
Knowledge of the rules, regulations, and procedures applicable to not-for-profit financial operations. Knowledge of accounting functions, processes and regulatory policies. Advanced knowledge of personal and network computer systems and relevant accounting software such as Sage 300 ERP, Excel, and ALFA. Proficient with the application of business English in oral and written correspondence.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and provide a highlevel of customer service to staff, internal and external customers.
- Enthusiastic and energetic self-starter with the ability to work independently and with regular interruptions.
- Accurate, well-organized with strong accounting and administrative skills and abilities.
- Ability to use advanced database, spreadsheet, reporting and presentation software, and computerized accounting systems to support business processes leading to strategic decision making within the Finance department.
- Ability to assist in developing, organizing, maintaining and improving a comprehensive budgeting and forecasting programs.
- Ability to analyze and prepare reports for internal and external customers.
- Ability to anticipate and balance multiple demands and priorities while continuing to meet deadlines.
- An aptitude and willingness to learn new technology.
Must pass and maintain enhanced Airport security clearance as a condition of employment.
- General accounting duties including bank reconciliations and reconciliations of other balance sheet accounts, account analysis, journal entries, government and statutory remittances, quarterly lease and bank reporting, and preparation of audit working papers.
- Develops analytical methods for preparing monthly operating budget statements of departmental expenditures and revenues for management.
- Performs month-end and year-end duties, provides variance analysis at regular intervals, and participates in the completion of annual financial statements.
- Analyzes and interprets financial, budget, accounting and cost control information and data and develops logical solutions to problems related to financial and business processes, budget variance and financial reporting.
- Supports senior management in the analysis/modelling of various business cases for proposed initiatives, including cost benefit analysis.
- Assists Manager with the maintenance of accurate, efficient and effective budget records and files, as well as related policies and procedures.
- Supports various departments with financial analysis and budget development.
- Provides advice and makes recommendations in preparing the operating budget by compiling, reviewing, validating and summarizing information, and ensuring adherence to policies and guidelines.
- Communicates with all levels of staff using a high level of customer-service orientation to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Provides support to the accounting technicians (AR / AP Administrators) and performs the duties of the accounting technicians as required during absences, including collections of overdue accounts and customer service support.
- Prepares a variety of professional-quality documents and reports related to the work performed.
- Performs special projects and research related to the budget impact of resource requests, process improvements, and implementation of new finance tools or software.
- Provides training and support (troubleshooting) to finance staff and other departments with regard to the budgeting, forecasting and financial software applications. • Maintain database of tangible capital assets.
- Assist with the development of long term financial planning and modelling.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Take personal responsibility for VAA’s Safety Management System, safety related issues and integrate safety into daily work activities.
Interested applicants may submit their Cover Letter and Resume quoting Competition #2018-02 to: email@example.com.
Your application should clearly identify how you meet the education, experience and knowledge requirements stated in the job description. As a condition of employment, employees must pass and maintain enhanced Airport security clearance (RAIC)*. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Location: Sidney, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Financial Administration
Posted: March 23, 2018, 1:56 pm
Expires: May 30, 2018, 4:30 pm