About the Opportunity
Our growing Courtenay office is looking to add a capable and enthusiastic Engineer-in-Training to the team of three professionals currently providing quality service to our clients on Vancouver Island. Civil and Environmental engineering is an integral part of our practice at Urban Systems. In this role, you will benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on exciting and challenging projects that make a visible difference in many communities. Assisting in the planning, design and consultation on several projects, you will be given as much freedom and responsibilities as you demonstrate you are able to handle. In addition to the unmatched learning and project experience you will receive, you can expect to be responsible for the following:
- Honing your civil engineering skills and developing an understanding of best practices in a practical, real world setting.
- Applying theory and providing workable solutions related to the implementation of engineering work specifically in regard to water distribution, wastewater collection, road design, clean energy and general municipal engineering.
- Acting as the clients' representative on-site during construction to gather information, conduct inspections and ensure that designs are built to specifications.
- Providing accurate and timely input on technical reports, plans, studies, proposals and oral presentations as required.
- Preparing cost estimates and reviewing contracts.
- Proactively and professionally communicating with contractors, co-workers, clients and the general public.
- Demonstrating a commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals.
Our preferred candidate for this opportunity will be a graduate from a civil or environmental engineering degree program, with 2-5 years of related experience. Our current needs require the successful candidate to undertake a construction inspection and contract administration role throughout the next year. Previous experience in a consulting environment and construction inspection and supervision will also be considered an asset. In addition, the below attributes would be considered a great benefit to this role:
- You have a keen interest in pursuing a career in civil or environmental engineering and working with local municipalities and Indigenous communities across Vancouver Island and British Columbia.
- You are able to work on multiple projects and thrive in a self-directed work environment.
- You take initiative, are a problem solver and continually deliver consistent, high quality of work.
- You take pride in a job well done and are committed to providing outstanding service to both internal and external clients.
- You are suited to consulting given your instincts for:
- Having the ability to listen to others and enjoy working with people
- Collaborating with people of varying backgrounds and perspectives
- Providing practical solutions to problems
- Working hard to deliver value to our clients
- Are able to travel to project sites on Vancouver Island.
- Hold a valid class 5 drivers license.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of 400 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing career development and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: Thursday, March 29, 2018
Location: Courtenay, BC
Region: North and Central Vancouver Island / Sunshine Coast
Professional Categories: Engineering
Posted: March 13, 2018, 3:26 pm
Expires: March 29, 2018, 4:30 pm