“Where the Rainforest Meets the Sea”
Building Official III
Located on the south-western tip of Vancouver Island, BC, Sooke has a sheltered harbor, and is a scenic half hour drive from BC's capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking or sailing.
The District of Sooke has a permanent employment opportunity for a Building Official III. Reporting to the Director of Community Safety/Fire Chief, the Building Official III provides support and advice to the Director of Community Safety/Fire Chief, Approving Officer, Planners, Fire Inspection staff and other Development Services technical staff. The Building Official III is responsible for conducting Building Inspection functions and issuing Building Permits, Plumbing Permits and Demolition Permits.
The Building Official III is an advanced position that requires a sound understanding of all BC Building and Plumbing Codes, and must have the ability to think innovatively, the ability to adjust to the political sensitivities, and have proven ability to supervise and mentor Building Officials.
To be considered for this role, applicants should have:
- A Journeyman Certificate in the construction trade or related technical certification.
- A Building Official Level II certification.
- Minimum ten (10) years related experience in a municipal setting.
- Technically proficient, have experience working with computerized systems, have strong analytical capabilities, and can communicate effectively with co-workers, the public, elected officials, developers, professionals, and other government agencies.
- A membership to the Building Officials’ Association of BC.
- A valid Class 5 BC Driver's License.
This is a CUPE Local 374 position. The 2018 hourly rate for the Building Official III is $44.35/hour, plus an excellent benefit package.
To view the full job description, visit the employment page of our website at www.sooke.ca/employment
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject of your email, and submit your detailed resume and cover letter outlining your interest and experience for this opportunity to:
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4:30 p.m. Friday, April 6, 2018.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Location: Sooke, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Building Technology/Inspection
Posted: March 12, 2018, 3:48 pm
Expires: April 6, 2018, 4:30 pm