City of Port Alberni
Deputy Director of Finance
The City of Port Alberni is looking for a Deputy Director of Finance to join a progressive and dynamic organization as part of our Finance team. Reporting to the City’s Director of Finance, this position is responsible for revenue services, financial and project accounting, reporting, planning, and administering the asset management systems for the City. This position is responsible for supervisory, administrative and financial work.
The City of Port Alberni is a community of 17,500 people. Located centrally on Vancouver Island, Port Alberni is a well-serviced municipality that offers residents affordable west coast living, as well as proximity to oceanfront, lakes, rivers and mountains.
- Directs and coordinates the work of finance department staff engaged in payroll, general accounting, property taxation, utilities, accounts payable, accounts receivable and clerical duties.
- Performs a wide range of accounting functions to support City operations.
- Provides support and expertise during budgeting processes.
- Assists in the development and implementation of accounting, financial and budgeting systems and policies.
- Provides effective leadership to a medium-size financial team.
Qualifications & Experience
- Completion of a recognized Professional Accounting Designation (CPA).
- A minimum of 5 years related experience in local government and administration, including demonstrated supervisory and leadership experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Sound knowledge of the methods, practices and principles involved in payroll, property taxation, accounts payable, accounts receivable, utilities and general accounting processes.
- Sound knowledge of the functions, practices and procedures, bylaws, policies and regulations pertaining to the operation of a municipal finance department.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated experience in budget preparation and administration.
- Demonstrated experience administering and working with payroll systems.
- Ability and desire to work in a collaborative manner with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Valid driver’s license for the Province of British Columbia.
This is an exempt position. A competitive salary is offered in addition to a comprehensive benefit package. For additional information, including a full job description, please go to http://www.portalberni.ca/employment-opportunities.
Qualified individuals may apply by forwarding a resume and cover letter by March 2, 2018:
Krista Tremblay, Manager of Human Resources
City of Port Alberni, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
Location: Port Alberni, BC
Region: North and Central Vancouver Island / Sunshine Coast
Professional Categories: Financial Administration
Posted: February 9, 2018, 9:40 am
Expires: March 2, 2018, 4:30 pm