Utility Engineering Technician
Competition # V1089
Competition # V1089
Closing Date: 4:30 pm, Friday, February 23, 2018
The Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD) is the regional government serving the approximate 30,000 residents of the Sunshine Coast. Bordered by rugged mountains on one side and the Georgia Strait on the other, the Sunshine Coast is situated on a peninsula between Howe Sound and Jervis Inlet in the traditional territory of the Sechelt and Squamish First Nations. Known for its mild winters, beautiful surroundings, arts, culture, and friendly people, the Sunshine Coast is not only a preferred tourist destination, it is a great place to live.
The Sunshine Coast Regional District is currently inviting applications for the position of Utility Engineering Technician (Full-time). Please note that this is a temporary position of unknown duration. Reporting to the Manager, Utility Services this position provides technical support to the department for the delivery of water/wastewater. Operates within designated service areas to ensure delivery of service meets the expectations of internal and external customers, making the best use of available resources. The hours of work for this position are 7 hours per day, 35 hours per week.
Candidates must have:
FORMAL EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Recognized diploma in civil engineering (design and construction) from an approved technical institution, A.Sc.T. preferred.
- Minimum two (2) years relevant work experience.
- Relevant work experience in applying design/engineering standards, preferably in municipal environment.
- Experience in community liaison, especially public consultation.
- Knowledge of applicable environmental protection and water acts, policies, guidelines and regulations.
- Working knowledge of design/engineering standards and best practises as they apply to the municipal environment.
- Ability to apply a conceptual approach to the supply and delivery of region-wide water services.
- Effective organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, specifically in the preparation of reports.
- Effective interpersonal relationships, specifically a demonstrated ability to proactively develop mutually beneficial working relationships with colleagues, clients and others.
- Ability to facilitate meetings of committees of various public interest groups.
- Advanced level proficiency in the operation of Microsoft Office software and graphics/mapping and modelling software, such as ESRI GIS, AutoCAD, and Water Gems, and Cartegraph.
- Ability to use and maintain surveying equipment.
- Valid BC driver’s licence.
This is a bargaining unit position with a wage rate of $35.54 per hour. This temporary position includes an additional $3.01 per hour cash-in-lieu of benefits after having successfully completed a four month probationary period with the SCRD. A copy of the complete job description is available on the SCRD website at www.scrd.ca/employment. Applications for this position must include a current resume, a cover letter quoting the competition number and copies of relevant educational certificates, submitted in confidence to Human Resources by the closing date and time shown above. Applications can be dropped off in person or mailed to 1975 Field Road, Sechelt, BC, V0N 3A1, faxed to 604-885-7909 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org .
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Location: Sechelt, BC
Region: North and Central Vancouver Island / Sunshine Coast
Professional Categories: Engineering
Posted: February 9, 2018, 9:29 am
Expires: February 23, 2018, 4:30 pm