Requisition ID: 8023
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The position is responsible for performing moderately complex administrative duties such as compiling non-technical statistical data using the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint and Visio). The position has direct interaction with various internal and external clients in order to compile the data. The position assists with training and group workshops. The position also exercises independent judgment in the familiar phases of the work.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reports to the Business Analyst and receives direction/guidance from the QA Manager/Business Analyst for various assigned tasks. Maintains effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and provides information and assistance as required.
- May review work of other clerical staff performing routine tasks
- May assist in the training and group workshops.
- Prepares and maintains a large volume of records and files, both manual and computerized, related to the work; compiles and condenses non-technical statistical data from uniform sources requiring an understanding of problems and terminology involved; devises forms, sets up moderately complex statistical tables and assists in the preparation of routine reports.
- Undertakes documentation control and coordination, task assignments, and duties among various process improvement project stakeholders including team members, managers, sponsors, and others. This includes coordinating and sending meeting invitations, drafting correspondence including announcements and summaries, documenting meeting minutes and process flows, validating and finalizing content preparation with the team, following-up on actions by team members, and supporting the project team in planning for follow-up meeting and events.
- Makes and cancels appointments, processes confidential matters and arranges meetings; composes non-routine correspondence; may take and transcribe dictation of a technical or legal nature; compiles, types and distributes meeting agenda according to accepted subject order; acts as recording secretary at meetings as required.
- Prepares personnel requisitions, staff action forms, salary attendance profiles, time cards, and other related forms; checks and/or calculates overtime, shift differentials, and other premiums.
- Opens, sorts and reads incoming correspondence; composes and types non-routine letters and signs as authorized by a supervisor.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and provides information and assistance as required.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the 12th school grade, supplemented by courses in commercial or business management courses such as certified Project Management or Lean Six Sigma, and sound related experience, of an equivalent combination of training and experience in business administration, project coordination, quality management, process improvement and team/stakeholder management.
- Experience with VISIO is required.
- Experience with Powerpoint is an asset.
- Experience with Excel is an asset.
- Experience with Outlook is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Sound business experience, or knowledge of departmental and other policies, regulations, rules, procedures and practices that relate to the position occupied or which govern worksite activities and employee behaviour.
- Sound knowledge of departmental functions, responsibilities and activities.
- Working knowledge of supervisory practices and techniques.
- Ability to independently perform office support functions of moderate complexity according to established practices.
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible in a changing environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and to prepare non-routine reports, correspondence and memoranda related to the work.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public and other staff by providing information and assistance which may involve making decisions requiring explanation of applicable rules and regulations.
- Ability to assign and review the work of a small group of subordinates (where needed) engaged in office support functions and to assist in the evaluation and selection of same.
- Ability to evaluate work methods and procedures and make recommendations for appropriate changes.
- Skill in typing (including numerically) both rapidly and accurately
- Demonstrated proficiency in software programs including Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio), Adobe Acrobat and VanDocs
As part of the prescreening process, candidates will be required to pass the City's standard Powerpoint, Excel and Outlook testing.
As part of the final selection process, candidates will be required to pass a technical test in VISIO and a reference check will be conducted.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: March 2018
Position End Date: August 30, 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015: $24.81 to $29.16 per hour (2018 rates)
Application Close: February 18, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.