Cashier (Food & Beverage) - Park Board
Requisition ID: 9761
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation has Auxiliary seasonal opportunities for employment as a Cashier in various Golf Clubhouse and Pitch & Putt locations. The successful candidate must be able to work a variety of days and shifts including evenings and weekends. The Cashiers’ main responsibility will be for the delivery of exceptional customer service to our golf patrons. Cashiers at the Clubhouses will be responsible for providing food and beverage cashiering services including delivering and clearing meals, cashiering transactions and general restaurant cleaning and maintenance. Cashiers at the Pitch and Putts will be responsible for club rentals and selling tee times. Cashiers may also perform golf cart attendant duties such as delivering food and beverage cart service.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Cashiering duties including taking and communicating orders to the kitchen, processing payments (including credit cards) and making change, ensuring accurate cash handling procedures and delivery of food and beverage orders to customers as required. The Cashier will also maintain front of house cleanliness by clearing dishes, cleaning counters, and arranging and cleaning tables. The position is responsible for ensuring that all guest amenities are tidy and clean, i.e. self-serve condiment areas, counter areas, coolers, floors and washrooms. The Cashier also sets up, facilitates, and tears down Special Events that are booked at the clubhouse and confirms that strict adherence to provincial rules around the service of alcohol within the licensed area of the clubhouse are being followed.
The Golf Clubhouses and Pitch & Putt hours are from 7:00am to 10:30pm. The successful candidate must be able to work a variety of days and shifts including morning, afternoon, evenings and weekends. The successful candidate must be also available to work at multiple Golf Clubhouses and Pitch & Putts.
Education and Experience
- At least a Grade 11 education with some cashier experience preferred
- Experience in serving food and beverages and working in an outdoor environment is preferred
- Experience working in a similar unionized Food and Beverage team environment is an asset
- Food Safe Certification is required
- Serving it Right Certification is required
- Valid Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Some knowledge of cashiering and retail sales methods and practices
- Some knowledge of basic food preparation and serving duties and of health standards and regulations
- Knowledge or previous experience in a Golf Course Environment preferred
- Previous hospitality experience including customer service, POS experience, stocking, and inventory an asset
- Ability to receive payments and make change accurately and promptly
- Ability to use computer software applications related to cashiering, program registration and memberships
- Ability to perform applicable food service and preparation and/or retail sales tasks
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public
- Ability to maintain minor clerical records
- Ability to lift a minimum of 20kg
A current and valid BC Driver’s preferred is preferred. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: April 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-011: $21.24 to $24.81 per hour
Application Close: February 25, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.