Supervisor Asphalt Plant & Aggregate YardRequisition ID: 6881
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This role supervises and participates in the daily operations and routine maintenance of the City of Vancouver’s asphalt plant and Aggregate Yard. This supervisory role leads a team of staff to operate and maintain specialized equipment such as an asphalt plant, which includes operating other large equipment with appropriate levels of training and safety knowledge to support us in achieving our current service objectives.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises and directs subordinates in daily Plant operations and maintenance of the City’s asphalt plant. Conducts performance planning evaluations of staff. Monitors work performance of operators, arranges training or corrective actions, and manages attendance and/or discipline
- Applies, maintains and enforces regulatory standards set by Worksafe BC, Provincial Safety Associations like, BC Construction Safety Alliance and Road Builders Association, and Occupational Health and Safety
- Plans daily work, schedule staff, assists subordinates in the operation
- Some organizing and planning at the Rubble Operations
- Organizes, maintains and forwards to branch office daily timesheets and other production and maintenance records for plant operations
- Conducts routine plant inspection of machinery and parts for repairs or replacement and determines work planning to be carried out during annual maintenance shutdown and performs minor repairs
- Coordinates work to be done by special trades. Coordinates and supervises major repairs to be done by qualified trade’s people
- Determines replacement parts required for purchasing. Plans and recommends machinery for maintenance or replacement
- Supervises and records console control adjustments for aggregate, asphalt cement, and dryer. Works with Quality Control Technicians on product quality
- Measures current asphalt and diesel fuel stocks, calculating anticipated usage, and ordering from suppliers to maintain stock levels
- Assists the plant Superintendent in selecting candidates for training of spare equipment operators
- Establishes an evaluation process for spare operators
- Trains new plant and loader operators
- Updates the Superintendent of operator performance and any problems which may arise
Education and Experience:
- Minimum grade 12, supplemented by related asphalt plant operation training and knowledge in asphalt mix technology.
- Accredited asphalt plant operating course required within 12 months of selection, including two week core training.
- Work place training of 4500 hours in plant operating experience.
- Preferred asphalt plant operations and maintenance courses.
- Certified millwright or equivalent maintenance and mechanical experience are an asset
- A current valid British Columbia Drivers’ License with class 3 with air is required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- This position requires a person in good physical condition to ensure effective operations
- Considerable knowledge in asphalt production, and asphalt mix requirements to safely operate asphalt plant machinery
- Knowledge in appropriate equipment, methods, tools, and standard operating practices are required
- Current methodology in supervision and leadership techniques
- Working knowledge of equipment operation, asphalt mix production, energy consumption and air quality
- Good working knowledge and experience with MS Office software, particularly with the creation and use of spreadsheets
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2018
Application Close: January 18, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Public Works & Operations
Posted: January 12, 2018, 11:43 am
Expires: January 18, 2018, 11:45 pm