Process Mechanical Engineer-in-TrainingKamloops, BC
Our thriving Kamloops office is looking to add a capable and enthusiastic Process Mechanical Engineer- in-Training to our water and wastewater practice. In this role, you will benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on exciting and challenging water and wastewater projects that make a difference in many communities. Assisting in the planning, design, construction and commissioning phases of projects, you will be given as much freedom and responsibilities as you demonstrate you are able to handle. In addition to the unmatched learning and project experience you will receive, you can expect to be responsible for the following:
- Developing your engineering skills and an understanding of best practices in a practical, real world setting.
- Applying practical knowledge to water and wastewater projects including treatment plants, pump stations, and linear assets of collection and distribution systems while providing workable solutions to engineering problems on small to large scale projects.
- Developing conceptual and preliminary designs of water and wastewater systems by assessing regulations, design criteria and applicable processes/technologies, while optimizing systems to provide low lifecycle costs for owners.
- Arranging lab testing, and undertake water quality analysis, bench scale testing, and treatment equipment piloting as required for the facility design process.
- Designing water and wastewater systems including equipment selection, facility layout, piping design, as well as preparing cost estimates and contract documents.
- Acting as our clients’ representative on-site during construction and commissioning to gather information, conduct inspections, ensure that designs are built to specifications and equipment is operating as intended.
- Providing accurate and timely input on technical reports, plans, studies, proposals, and oral presentations as required.
- Proactively and professionally communicating with contractors, co-workers, sub-consultants, clients, and the general public.
- Demonstrating a commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals.
Kamloops offers many amenities including access to world class mountain biking, hiking, parks, arts & culture, shopping and so much more. For more details, please visit the Tourism Kamloops website at www.tourismkamloops.com.
The right candidate for this opportunity will be a recent graduate with a degree in chemical or environmental engineering. Other engineering programs with a water and wastewater focus, such as civil, would also be considered. In addition, the following attributes are considered a great benefit to this role:
- You have a keen interest in pursuing a career working on water and wastewater projects in the municipal and industrial fields. Experience working in facilities/operations and/or on water and wastewater projects is an asset.
- You are able to multitask and thrive in a self-directed work environment.
- You have strong attention to detail, a level of mechanical aptitude and are able to figure out how things work.
- You take initiative, are a problem solver, and continually deliver consistent, high quality work.
- You are suited to consulting given your instincts for:
- Having the ability to listen to others and enjoy working with people.
- Collaborating with people of varying backgrounds and perspectives.
- Providing practical solutions to problems.
- Working hard to deliver value to our clients.
- Are registered as an Engineer-in-Training with EGBC or eligible to register.
- You are willing and able to travel to project sites throughout Western Canada.
- Have a valid Class 5 drivers license.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients, including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of 400 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice, by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities.
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things.
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment.
- Ongoing career development, mentorship and learning to assist you in obtaining the skills, knowledge and experience you will need to pursue your professional registration.
- Meaningful rewards and recognition.
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: Friday, January 19, 2018.
Location: Kamloops, BC
Region: Thompson / Shuswap / Columbia
Professional Categories: Engineering
Posted: January 2, 2018, 1:24 pm
Expires: January 19, 2018, 4:30 pm