Corporate Investigator - Level 1 - (2017-041)
Victoria - Victoria, BC V8W 9T5 CA (Primary)
Hours per Week
# of Hires Needed
Assists in the Investigation of Criminal/Accidents incidents, ICBC and Insurance Claims, offences and misconduct against the organization’s personnel and property as per established statutes and regulations (i.e. Criminal Code, Charter of Rights), guidelines and standards, throughout the province of British Columbia. Provides statistical and strategic support and intelligence information to the management team. Supporting internal and external stakeholders and supports in-depth analyses to identify causes. Some travel throughout B.C. and irregular working hours maybe required to successfully perform the duties of this position.
- Plays an integral investigative role in ensuring the integrity, safety, security and protection of BC Transit’s customers, employees, facilities, vehicles, assets and the general public.
- Under the direction of the manager/supervisor of security & safety, assists in the investigations in relation to offences and incidents committed on BC Transit property involving staff and or customers.
- Oversees reviews and prepares video for Corporate Investigators (Level 2) on Claims, Court, Crown Counsel, Internal and External partners and active police files. Processes and analyses data of evidentiary value collected from various sources such as CCTV, digital and visual communications, surveillance systems, data systems or media, ensuring adherence to privacy legislation. Maintains and stores video according to video handling and evidence retention requirements and testifies in court as a witness/expert.
- Researches, collects, evaluates, organizes and reports a wide variety of investigative and intelligence data to identify, monitor and map event trends, patterns, series, developments, offenders. Based on these findings the support person will prepare strategic and tactical assessments, forecasts, recommendations and alternative action plans. The incumbent also participates in the review of strategic priorities and operational plans and the evaluation of incident reduction/prevention initiatives and programs. Considerable independent judgment and action are exercised in planning and executing work assignments.
- Liaises closely with law enforcement and regulatory agencies to ensure that information and evidence is gathered and secured for any criminal offence.
- Supports the Investigational team with the physical security of BC Transit’s assets throughout the province by administering programs and keeping records up to date.
- Acts as the point person for gathering information from maintenance, facilities and operations on all security systems repairs, coordinates with service providers to ensure they are rectified in a timely manner.
- Actively participates in the Safety Management programs, department and Board Reports and activities; supports company-wide hazard identification process and gap analyses of existing departmental regulatory programs and practices; reports key performance indicators and other regulatory measures to various levels of management at BC Transit.
- Assists in the development and presentation of corporate accident prevention programs in support of Victoria Regional Transit and Regional Partners.
- Maintains, analyzes and interprets a variety of statistical data; analyses historical event trends and patterns and prepares forecasts as required; develops a variety of data for use in investigations such as link association and timeline charts, graphs and maps; identifies gaps in investigations and provides leads to investigators.
- Summarize and present completed analysis at daily, weekly and monthly meetings with the department management team. Information presented can include updates, recommendations for action and event series/crime problems.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Post secondary education in a related discipline and / or a minimum three (3) years related experience; or an equivalent of education and experience.
- Considerable working knowledge in research, statistical and mapping principles and techniques commonly applied in the investigation environment.
- Experience handling multiple investigations while managing a high workload is required.
- Ability to summarize and present complex information in a coherent and understandable manner both verbally and written.
- Knowledge of basic physical security principles and an understanding of CCTV, electronic access systems.
- Sound knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of security, loss prevention, investigation, surveillance and risk management is required.
- Strong technical skills and experience with video production & editing
- A strong understanding of legislation pertaining to the Criminal Code and the Charter of Rights in the Province BC.
- General understanding of legislation pertinent to assigned area, and of court procedures and requirements regarding evidence and expert witness testimony.
- Skill in preparing technical reports to an academic standard.
- Skill in preparing and making recommendations based on researched information.
- Security Clearance to Level 2 (Secret Level) with Transport Canada;
- License as security professional in the province of BC (BST).
- An eligibility list may be created for future vacancies.
- This position requires the completion of a Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Extended health and dental coverage
- Life insurance
- Medical Services Plan (MSP) group coverage
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Pension Plan
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus 2 taxable dependent passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program
Location: Victoria, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Legal Services
Posted: April 21, 2017, 9:29 am
Expires: May 1, 2017, 4:30 pm