Program Assistant II - Trans*, Gender Variant & Two-SpiritRequisition ID: 2017-2850
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Program Assistant II – Trans*, Gender Variant & Two-Spirit (TGV2S) will be key in assisting Park Board staff with the implementation of the “Building a Path to Parks and Recreation for All: Reducing Barriers for Trans* & Gender Variant Community Members”.
Reporting to the Coordinator of Access and Volunteer Services, the successful candidate will act as a resource to Park Board staff on TGV2S awareness, collect lived experience stories from TGV2S community members, answer telephone and in person inquiries regarding the Park Board TGV2S programs.
In addition to providing program support to members of the TGV2S community this position will be responsible for liaising with the Trans and Gender Variant Inclusion steering committee and Park Board staff at the various community centres, arenas and pools to lead TGV2S awareness sessions, facilitate TGV2S customer service training, assisting customers who attend Templeton Pools Sunday Trans* Swim program and additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This position will work approximately 25 hours per week May through December 2017 and be located at the Park Board administrative office however, the successful incumbent will be required to travel to various Park Board facilities on a regular basis.
Education and Experience:
- Member of the trans*, gender variant or two-spirit community
- Completion of grade 12 and some related experience
- Experience and or training in community engagement and facilitation or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Valid BC Driver’s License is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the needs and interests of the trans*, gender variant, and two-spirit residents of the City of Vancouver
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to demonstrate active listening skills
- Ability to communicate effectively to individuals and in a group setting
- Ability to assist in the planning and execution of special events
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge and ability to work with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher)
Driver License and Record Checks
- A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record is preferred and the license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Local area travel and transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements
Business Unit/Department: Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation
Affiliation: CUPE 15
Employment Type: Auxiliary
Position Start Date: May 2017
Position End Date: December 2017
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-12: $21.61 to $25.33 per hour
Application Close: April 28, 2017
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Parks & Recreation
Posted: April 18, 2017, 2:58 pm
Expires: April 28, 2017, 11:45 pm