CAMA Holds Quarterly Board Meeting in Montreal, Québec
The Board of Directors of the Canadian Association of Municipal Administrators (CAMA) held their quarterly meeting in Montreal, Québec on March 23rd, 2017. A special thanks to our host Jack Benzaquen, Directeur Général for the Ville de Dollard-des-Ormeaux. The Board dealt with a number of issues, including:
For more details read the executive summary of the Board meeting.
- Review of Strategic Plan for the 2017-2018 Year
- Nominating Committee
- Honourary Life Member Awards
- Annual Conferences
- Communications/Marketing Plan
- A Toolkit to Attract The Next Generation
- CAMA’s Next Generation Project
- CAO Performance Management and Evaluation Committee
- 2017 CAMA Awards of Excellence Program
FCM and CAMA Swing Day Workshop - Thursday, June 1st
FCM’s New Infrastructure and Climate Change Programs: Workshop
Is your community facing challenges in planning how to maintain and renew its infrastructure, especially in the face of climate change? Do you need help reducing greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs)?
Register for our new workshop, Capacity Building for Transformative Infrastructure Investments, which will be held on June 1 (from 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Ramada Hotel in Gatineau) as part of the Canadian Association of Municipal Administrators Conference.
Learn about FCM’s new funding and learning programs, the Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program and the Municipal Asset Management Program, and how they can support your municipality.
This workshop is designed for Chief Administrative Officers, city managers and other senior municipal staff. Speakers and workshop facilitators will include FCM staff and municipal practitioners, such as David Allen, Chief Administrative Officer for The City of Courtenay, and Murray Jamer, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer for The City of Fredericton.
You’ll have the chance to ask questions and learn how FCM can help you:
- Strengthen your asset management planning
- Improve your municipality’s decision-making process for infrastructure
- Adapt municipal infrastructure to the realities of climate change impacts
- Reduce your municipality’s GHG emissions
- We also want to take the opportunity during this workshop to learn more about you - what barriers you face in trying to implement better asset management practices and ideas for the types of support you need.
To register for the workshop: send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Register for the FCM workshop’ in the subject line or call 1-866-771-2262. You do not need to register for the CAMA Conference in order to participate in FCM’s workshop.
Conference Accommodations: Cancellation Policy Reminder
If you booked hotel accommodations at the Hilton Lac Leamy (Conference Hotel) or the Ramada Hotel (Overflow Hotel) for the upcoming 2017 CAMA Conference just a quick reminder on the Cancellation Policy.
Deposit and Cancellation Policy: A deposit equal to the first night's stay will be charged at time of booking. If cancelled on/before April 21st, 2017 the deposit will be refunded. If cancelled on/after April 22nd, 2017 the first night’s deposit will be forfeited.
If you booked hotel rooms and they are no longer required, please cancel them at your earliest convenience so that your deposit can be refunded and it can open up rooms for other delegates. Please also note that our Conference registration is open until May 12th, 2017!
ICMA Call for Speakers
Dear ICMA International Members, Affiliates, and Friends:
I am writing to request your help in broadening the international content of ICMA’s 103rd Annual Conference, which will be held October 22-25 in San Antonio/Bexar County, Texas. In particular, we need your assistance in identifying potential panelists for the conference's educational program.
If you are aware of individuals from outside the United States who plan to attend the conference and would be interested and able to contribute to the content of the sessions generated by the 2017 Conference Planning Committee, please encourage them to respond to the Call for Speakers, which can be accessed from the conference website here.
Please note that we are not able to consider additional session topics at this time. Note, too, that ICMA conference attendees value informal, interactive sessions as opposed to more academic presentations of papers. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. Thank you very much for your help.
Director, International Member Programs
Apply for an ICMA Conference Scholarship
ICMA's Conference scholarships are part of our commitment to attracting a wide and diverse group of people into the local government management profession, developing and mentoring early-to-mid-career professionals already in the field and helping members working in smaller communities, experience the value of the Annual Conference, Here is a list of the scholarship opportunities offered:
- Young Professional Scholarship
- Work Place Diversity Scholarship
- Small Community Employee Scholarship
- a complimentary conference registration, and
- a stipend to offset travel costs, in some cases
2017 Stene Academic Scholarship
Each year, ICMA selects a graduate school student as the recipient of its $1,000 Edwin O. Stene Academic Scholarship, named in memory of Kansas University Professor Edwin O. Stene. Travel and housing expenses are not included. In addition to the $1,000 stipend, the Stene scholarship recipient will receive a complimentary conference registration.
How to Apply: Visit the website for details, eligibility requirements and applications.
Submission Deadline: Monday, June 5.
Eligible candidates may submit an application to multiple categories, if they meet the eligibility requirements. Candidates for scholarships must be ICMA members at time of application. To get a membership application, contact ICMA’s Membership Services Department at 202/962-3680; email@example.com or visit the website to join.
- Cynthia Fletcher, Executive Director of Infrastructure Services, Corporation of the City of Kitchener
- Justine Readman, Executive Director of Infrastructure Services, Corporation of the City of Kitchener
- Tracey Radloff, Senior Manager, Human Resources & Communication Services
- Geoff Wright, Commission of Transportation & Works, City of Mississauga, ON
- Rhoan Dundas, Corporate Services Manager, City of Steinbach, MB
Do you have a story for our next issue?
Let us know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org