News Release< Previous Article 43 of 85 Next >
City of Burnaby's Willingdon Linear Park Earns Sustainability AwardCity of Burnaby
BURNABY - The Willingdon Linear Park project has received an Envision Silver Award from the Washington, DC-based Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure (ISI).
"It is great that city staff have been recognized for their work in trying to make Burnaby a more connected community,” said Mayor Mike Hurley. “We have started the work of providing more access to safe ways to walk, run, cycle and roll."
The 1.17-km park opened in July 2018, and consists 13 city blocks of park and trail development.
The park accomplishes several goals and meets the needs of the community by:
- incorporating multi-use pathways;
- offering safe pedestrian and cyclist road and laneway crossings;
- integrating rest areas and pocket parks;
- enhancing user comfort through park furnishings, lighting, trees, and other features; and
- establishing character and distinction to the area.
Key factors contributing ISI’s selection of Willingdon Linear Park for the Envision Silver award include:
- Enhancing Public Space: New pedestrian signals provide park and bus stop access from both sides of the street. Enhanced bike and walking pathways provide new connections for commuters and recreational users. Pocket parks offer space for organized gatherings, chance encounters, and quiet solitude.
- Reduction of Air Pollutants: The project kept 31 existing trees and added 211 trees. These added trees help maintain and improve air quality along a busy street corridor.
- Invasive Species Control and Removal: Before construction, there was extensive Japanese Knotweed. Perennial weeds and invasive plants were removed.
VIDEO: Willingdon Linear Park – Opening Day 2018 (Metro Vancouver)
Learn More: Willingdon Linear Park
For more information contact:
Manager, Parks Planning, Design & Development
Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services
604-294-7040 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Managing Director | Director, Sustainable Projects
Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure
About Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure:
The Washington, DC-based Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure (ISI) is a non-profit organization created to develop and maintain a sustainability rating system for all civil infrastructure. ISI was founded by the American Public Works Association (APWA), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) and operates under their oversight.