BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Forest Management Supervisor
Parks, Recreation and Culture Services Department
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
The City of Coquitlam, Urban Forestry Operations Division is currently seeking a full time Forest Management Supervisor to provide technical, supervisory and administrative work in directing and overseeing the preparation of technical forest management plans, restoration plans and reports related to invasive species, forest health wildfire fuel issues, ecosystem restoration and wildlife. An incumbent in this position supervises the work of subordinates engaged in encroachment enforcement practices, forest management and trail maintenance programs.
Requirements of this position are:
- Thorough knowledge of policies, practices, procedures, regulations and bylaws governing the work performed;
- Thorough knowledge of forest management principles and practices;
- Ability to develop and implement forest management plans, restoration plans and reports related to invasive species, forest health, wildfire fuel issues and ecosystem restoration;
- Ability to prepare annual work plans and budget and to monitor same;
- Ability to implement restoration projects and to conduct on-site inspections;
- Ability to analyze data related to forest management, invasive species and wildfire prevention planning;
- Ability to respond to complaints and identify complex and contentious parkland encroachments and initiate action to resolve same;
- Ability to achieve compliance and restoration of parkland;
- Ability to supervise the work of subordinates engaged in forestry work and to coordinate and oversee the work of consultants;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a variety of internal and external contacts, provide technical information and assistance, and deal tactfully and courteously with others on contentious issues;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Ability to prepare reports and correspondence related to the work and to monitor and control program budget.
The ideal candidate will have a university degree in biology, urban forestry, ecology, natural resource management or related discipline, plus three years related experience or five years related experience combined with a technical diploma, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. The candidate must be eligible for registration with the College of Applied Biology of BC or the Association of BC Forest Professionals. A Driver’s License for the Province of BC is required.
The CUPE hourly rate of $43.90 - $51.87, plus a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/careers by 11:55 pm on August 9, 2020.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.