BC Local Government Job Posting Service
One of the sunniest regions in BC's Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities - Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
Reporting to the Director of Community Planning & Development, the Planning Manager plays a key role in setting and carrying out the annual work program of the planning division. Working as part of the department’s leadership team, the Planning Manager will be responsible for the management and daily operation of land use planning activities, including processing land development applications; implementing various policy initiatives; coordinating and preparing new land use and neighborhood plans; and updating plans as required. The incumbent will provide senior representation at public meetings and on external committees when required. The Planning Manager will also be involved with responding to requests from the Mayor’s Office and/or the City Manager’s Office and attending meetings with executive staff as required, including meetings regarding confidential and/or labour relations matters.
Working in a supervisory capacity, the Planning Manager will assign and review work by providing staff support and training, and establishing clear and consistent procedures. The incumbent will review all division-related reports to Council and provide technical advice and direction to staff, assist with problem resolution and respond to community enquiries and complaints in a professional and courteous manner. The incumbent must be an effective communicator and motivator of people and should possess the ability to develop and impart vision, direction, and policy. The incumbent will need to be a creative and analytical decision-maker, managing a wide range of small to high-profile projects in accordance with Council priorities, legislation, industry standards, and existing long-range and strategic planning policies.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ethic of service to the community and to the staff team in this key leadership role;
- Exceptional knowledge of appropriate legislation;
- Ability to manage multiple projects to meet required objectives and deadlines;
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and tools of local area community and city planning combined with direct experience at the local government level;
- Demonstrated ability to create effective policies, procedures, and bylaws;
- Ability to establish sound and effective working relationships with others;
- Demonstrated communication and presentation skills with the ability to explain complex technical and non-technical issues to stakeholders.
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning;
- Membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners enhanced by progressive experience in land use planning;
- Minimum 10+ years experience in a supervisory/management role in the planning field, preferably in a municipal setting;
- A valid Class 5 BC driver’s license.
The City of Delta provides a competitive salary (commensurate with experience); and an excellent benefits package including Municipal Pension Plan as well as an earned-days-off system. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment, to competition number 20-81 EX by September 7, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted. Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets must be submitted with your application. Preferred candidates will be required to submit a Police Information Check.
City of Delta
Attention: Human Resources
4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent,
Delta, BC V4K 3E2