BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Competition No. 2020-44
Parks and Recreation Department
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
We are looking for a dynamic, people-focused individual for our newly created position of Manager, Parks. Our ideal candidate will have a proven track record of successfully fostering strong working relationships with community partners including First Nations, other municipalities and all levels of government agencies while implementing and monitoring the Municipality’s objectives as outlined in Council’s Strategic Plan and the Parks and Trails Master Plan. Achieving these goals will require promoting community development and partnerships with public consultation for all parks-related programs and initiatives.
Reporting to the Director, Parks and Recreation, this position will require considerable experience providing overall leadership for the development and implementation of improved policies, measures and programs for a municipal Parks Department. Effective collaboration with senior management is required and is expected to provide subject matter expertise on all horticultural matters.
Key areas of focus for the position will be the planning, operation, maintenance, permitting and public use programming of the following North Cowichan public spaces, while identifying risks and developing mitigation strategies to prevent or minimize environmental impacts:
- parks and trails;
- open spaces and natural areas;
- sports fields;
- boulevards and roadway horticulture and arboriculture; and
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Completion of a diploma or university degree in Horticulture, Urban Forestry, Parks Maintenance Management, Natural Resource Management, Ecological Restoration, Landscape Architecture or other parks-related field.
- Six (6) years of related progressive experience in parks operations and management including three (3) years of experience in supervision and project management.
- Considerable technical and practical knowledge related to managing and delivering diverse regional and/or municipal parks services such as complex park operations and maintenance, visitor services, interpretation services, cemetery operations, sports field operations, resource management, planning, and public consultation.
- Demonstrable verbal and written communication skills including well-developed report writing and public presentation skills.
- Considerable experience with budget preparation, reporting and resource allocations. Provides year-end forecasts, identifies and justifies long-term capital and operating requirements.
- Experience leading Occupational Health and Safety initiatives and promoting a strong culture of health and safety.
- Ability to manage a diverse and complex portfolio of work while establishing ambitious and challenging goals; demonstrating innovative solutions to overcoming obstacles.
- Extensive experience leading and supervising both exempt and unionized staff, clearly understanding the importance of leadership including the ability to motivate and develop a high performing, collaborative team by coaching, mentoring and developing staff.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective internal and external working relationships. Skilled in dealing openly, tactfully and sensitively in a variety of situations and responding effectively to emotional triggers in self and others.
- Proven ability to use good judgment, tact and diplomacy to resolve complex problems.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- The position may be physically demanding.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police information check.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
4:30 p.m. Thursday, August 27, 2020