BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Competition No. 2020-43
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay and the South End, including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
We are looking for an experienced, innovative and people-focused Manager, Roads to oversee our Roads and Drainage departments. This position is responsible for driving departmental performance, demonstrating responsiveness to the public and striving for continuous improvement in service delivery.
Reporting to the Director, Operations, the ideal candidate will have a minimum of eight years of progressively responsible experience managing public infrastructure and leading and empowering teams in a unionized work environment. A proven track record of achieving and sustaining positive health and safety outcomes along with the ability to develop successful working relationships by engaging with staff and excelling at both written and verbal communications is critical for the success of the position. Responsibility for budget development and management including asset management, demand forecasting, policy development and vendor management is required.
Core responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- The planning, coordination, maintenance and implementation of all aspects of the Municipality’s road and drainage infrastructure. This includes the Municipality’s storm water collection, street, road, sidewalk networks and facilities and solid waste collection.
- Ensuring that operating and capital budgets are prepared and expenditures are monitored.
- Working collaboratively with the Engineering Department; assisting in the program selection and construction management of roads and drainage annual capital projects, maintenance projects and routine work.
- Responsible for developing, implementing, monitoring and maintaining appropriate policies and procedures that support the effective operation of the department.
- Preparing verbal and written reports, proposals and tenders; managing contracts and capital projects.
- Working with senior management to ensure appropriate workplace health and safety objectives are met and providing guidance regarding the planning and implementation of occupational health and safety initiatives
- Overseeing the Municipality’s:
- snow and ice program;
- solid waste collection (internal), organics collection (internal) and recycling collection (external contractor) including information collection, reporting and liaising with other parties;
- roads and drainage capital construction projects and general maintenance programs;
- flood response; and
- sweeper, brush cutter and roadside mower equipment.
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Diploma in civil engineering technology, a civil engineering degree or comparable technical training and experience.
- Eight (8) years of experience in a municipal engineering and operations environment.
- Excellent financial management, project management, time management, organizational and computer skills.
- Applied knowledge of WorkSafeBC requirements, employee and labour relations principles and human rights as they relate to workplace accommodation.
- Strong verbal, written and problem solving skills with the ability to listen effectively and resolve the core issues.
- Proven collaborative and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and groups including government officials at all levels, businesses, community groups, Council, staff, and individual citizens.
- Ability to prepare and interpret comprehensive technical reports, plans, contract documents, statutes, standards and bylaws.
- Considerable knowledge of municipal infrastructure; including methods, practices, specifications, regulations and techniques used in the construction, operation and maintenance activities of the department.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- The position may be physically demanding.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police information check.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
4:30 p.m. Thursday, August 27, 2020