BC Local Government Job Posting Service
“Where the Rainforest Meets the Sea”
Deputy Director of Financial Services
Located on the south-western tip of Vancouver Island, BC, Sooke has a sheltered harbor, and is a scenic forty-five (45) minute drive from BC's capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking or sailing.
The District of Sooke has an employment opportunity for a permanent Deputy Director of Financial Services position. Reporting to the Director of Financial Services, the Deputy Director of Financial Services is responsible for a variety of complex duties. The duties include, but are not limited to, preparing the annual financial statements and coordinating the annual audit process; assisting with preparation of the Five Year Financial Plan; assisting with preparation of the annual Property Tax Rate Bylaw and other related bylaws; assisting with and preparation of other annual municipal financial reports; preparing financial reports for internal and external distribution; preparing reports to Council; managing the day-to-day operations of the Financial Services Department, including Information Technology, and front counter reception staff; ensuring purchasing is in accordance with District policies and best practices; management of Asset Management and stewardship over investment of surplus funds.
To be considered for this role, applicants should have:
- CPA accounting designation (includes CPA CA, CPA CMA, or CPA CGA).
- Minimum of three (3) years in a supervisory role in a government environment.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience at a senior management level. Municipal government experience is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of Public Sector accounting and auditing standards and principles.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting systems within a government environment is preferred.
- Experience automating financial services processes and procedures is highly desirable.
- Experience researching, writing and presenting complex financial reports.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
This position is excluded from the union. The salary for the Deputy Director of Financial Services is $108,306/year, plus an excellent benefit package.
To view the full job description, visit the employment page of our website at www.sooke.ca/employment
Please indicate 2020-004R Deputy Director of Financial Services in the subject of your email, and submit your detailed resume and cover letter, in PDF format, outlining your interest and experience for this opportunity to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4:30 p.m. Sunday, August 16, 2020.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.