BC Local Government Job Posting Service
District of Port Hardy
Located on the northern most tip of beautiful Vancouver Island, Port Hardy is a wilderness paradise that invites both locals and tourists to “Live the Adventure.” From its traditional resource-based “roots” to today’s emerging eco-tourism, green energy and aquaculture sectors, the region remains committed to maintaining a wholesome, unspoiled natural environment for its 4,132 (2016 census) residents and three neighbouring First Nations bands.
The District offers contract building inspection services to Port McNeill, Port Alice and Coal Harbour making this position diverse. In recent years, the cost of construction in Port Hardy has increased with new development occurring and major renovations to key facilities including the Airport, RCMP office and the installation of a new Coast Guard Depot on the horizon.
The District is a great place to work with a strong support team of staff and managers.
The District is seeking an individual to fill the role of Municipal Inspector, a position that is responsible for:
- Processing applications for building permits related to new construction and alterations / renovations / additions / relocation / demolition to/of existing buildings and structures;
- Examining and reviewing building plans, drawings and applicable documentation to ensure conformity with bylaws, codes (Building, Fire and Plumbing) and related standards;
- Inspecting buildings and properties to ensure compliance with bylaws, codes and standards;
- Enforcement of the Provincial Fire Code and as local assistant to the fire commissioner, ensuring implementation of and compliance with the requirements of the Fire Services Act and regulations;
- Reviewing and processing applications and conducting inspections associated with solid fuel burning appliances;
- Reviewing and processing of applications for business licence and sign permit to ensure conformity with the applicable regulations;
- Undertaking activities associated with bylaw enforcement;
- Responding to public enquiries;
- Assisting with preparation of the annual budget related to Municipal Inspection services; and,
- Oversee and assist with maintenance matters related to the District owned buildings.
The preferred candidate will possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Works extremely well with people and is able and willing to provide customer service that is second to none.
- Minimum grade 12 or equivalent;
- Minimum Level 1 certification from the Building Officials’ Association of British Columbia with the ability to achieve Level 2 certification by February 2021;
- Level 1 certification from the Plumbing Officials’ Association of British Columbia;
- Bylaw Compliance, Enforcement and Investigative Skills – Level 1 certification with the Justice Institute of BC;
- Experience working in a local government context;
- Thorough knowledge of the Building, Fire and Plumbing Codes;
- Class 5 driver’s licence;
- Reasonable knowledge of office administration procedures, computers and related software such as Noratek Solutions Inc.’s Building Reporter inspection software.
The District offers an excellent benefit package, the wage range is $45.00-$47.00 p/h commensurate with experience and qualifications. Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a letter of interest, detailed resume and references by 4:00 pm Thursday August 6, 2020 via mail, email or fax to:
Heather Nelson-Smith, Director of Corporate and Development Services
District of Port Hardy,
PO Box 68, Port Hardy, BC V0N 2P0
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.