BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Policy and Planning Analyst
Full-time - Term (up to 12 months)
We are seeking a full-time Policy and Planning Analyst to join our Planning and Development Services team on a term basis for up to 12 months (maternity leave coverage), beginning in early September 2020.
The Policy and Planning Analyst is responsible for providing a range of technical supports to a variety of sustainability and Regional Growth Strategy (RGS) projects and initiatives within the Planning Services department. The primary responsibilities of this role are:
- Assemble, analyze and interpret data related to various sustainability, regional planning or corporate strategic planning issues and apply effective data visualization techniques.
- Assist in the development of community engagement plans relative to RGS and sustainability deliverables.
- Undertake data and policy analysis and make recommendations for consideration by senior management and the Board in regards to the Comox Valley Regional District’s climate action charter commitments (e.g. carbon offset program).
- Provide technical and process support for long-term strategic planning processes related to sustainability and RGS and work with staff on the development and evaluation of business cases and performance measurement tools.
- Assist senior staff with project scoping on planning policy and regulation.
- Key project work includes: Staff lead on air quality improvement projects, including oversight of wood stove exchange program coordinator and air quality consultant. Regional Growth Strategy education and outreach communications campaign; Green House Gas emissions reduction initiatives; development of RGS monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Develop and maintain strong collaborative working relationships with various external partners, including municipal staff, First Nation partners, contractors/consultants and other government agencies.
- Lead stakeholder consultation processes and represent interests of the Comox Valley Regional District on external committees.
- Research and create detailed budgets for grant application preparation. Responsible for administration and tracking of approved grants when funded.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Educated in planning or related discipline with an undergraduate degree of four years or equivalent with over two years relevant experience. Additional courses/or certificates in local government, project management, law, public policy, sustainability, ethics, administration and statistics would be considered an asset.
- Knowledgeable of provincial legislation relating to the work, including the Local Government Act and the Climate Change Accountability Act;
- Knowledgeable in public and stakeholder consultation best practices and sustainability principles including green building, alternative transportation, renewable energy, climate change mitigation and adaptation
- A solid problem solver with the ability to conceptualize data and see the bigger picture
- A strong communicator with the ability to conduct public meetings, facilitate group discussions, resolve conflict when required, and distil and convey complex information to a wide variety of audiences in multiple formats.
- Knowledgeable of project management methodologies and able to organized and balance multiple priorities
- A strong researcher with exceptional writing skills
- Proficient in Land Use, GIS, preferably ARC GIS, is considered to be an asset
- Is a motivated self-starter and has the ability to self-manage workload.
- Able to work a variable work schedule including some weekends and evenings.
To support physical distancing due to COVID-19, the Comox Valley Regional District supports working from home for some positions.
This is a CUPE Local 556 position with an interim wage rate of $38.05 per hour. Please not, this position is currently under Joint Job Evaluation Committee review.
To review the complete job description and to apply go to www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/jobs.
The closing date for this position is August 7, 2020 at 3:00 pm. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.