BC Local Government Job Posting Service
School District No. 62 (Sooke)
Manager, Executive Operations
The Sooke School District is seeking a positive and dynamic leader to join our exempt team as Manager Executive Operations. The Manager, Executive Operations oversees the development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the District’s Strategic and Operational Plans and collaborates with educational and business leaders within the District to ensure goals and priorities are achieved.
Under the general direction of the Superintendent/CEO, the Manager, Executive Operations oversees the development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the District’s Strategic and Operational Plans and collaborates with educational and business leaders within the District to ensure goals and priorities are achieved. This position is accountable for corporate issues management and provides strategic direction and oversight to the executive operations. The major functions of this position are Strategic Planning and Reporting, Issues Management and Executive Operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Planning and Reporting:
- Contributes to the creation and implementation of the Strategic Plan and supporting Operational Plans and key corporate strategic planning documents.
- Identifies performance standards and measures, monitors and tracks outcomes and identifies and resolves conflicting priorities to ensure timelines and deliverables are met.
- Drafts the District’s Annual Report for review by Executive and the Board of Education.
- Develops and compiles key performance indicators throughout the District for a variety of projects and initiatives.
- Creates and maintains the Board and Executive’s annual work plans based on strategic priorities toensure the necessary work is completed within the allocated timeframes.
- Assists cross-program projects through a project management framework, assists in planning the approach, sets milestones, monitors and reports on outcomes and identifies linkages with other projects within the District (i.e., business transformation projects, business process review, and best practice studies).
- Conducts risk reviews for existing and new projects and makes recommendations.
- Identifies critical and emerging issues and anticipates political and sensitive issues and consults with the Board and Executives on approaches and alternatives.
- Tracks issues and works with various internal subject matter experts and stakeholders to prepare information, briefing notes and key messages in order to respond appropriately.
- Performs issues management by researching information and gathering facts.
- Determines alternatives, makes recommendations and coordinates timely responses.
- Creates and oversee a corporate wide issues management framework to ensure the Board, Executive, leadership team and subject matter experts are aware of upcoming or potential events that may impact the District.
- Provides strategic leadership and expertise to the District to manage issues with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Works in partnership with Communications Manager to address issues that have potential for reputational risks to the District and supports the District’s online presence by providing content for politically sensitive issues.
- Develops and manages effective relationships with the District staff, other school districts, local governments and the District’s stakeholders.
- Responds to external and internal enquiries involving highly sensitive and confidential issues, and drafts responses for signature of the Board Chair and Superintendent/CEO.
- Recommends and implements new or amended administrative regulations in conjunction with the Executive and the Leadership Team.
- Determines issues and creates and reviews briefing/ information notes, speaking notes and correspondence for Executive.
- Attends meetings as directed by the Executive to gather information, identify issues and to report out on goals, priorities and funding implications.
- Develops, implement and update the decision-making framework for the District.
- Determines and manages agendas, materials and presentations for the Executive and Leadership Team meetings based on the annual work plan.
- Presents to a variety of audiences, facilitates consultative sessions and chairs various working group meetings throughout all working levels of the District.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary degree in public/business administration, public relations, communications or related field
- Course work and/or a minimum of one years’ experience in issues management
- A minimum of five years of related experience in a leadership role including:
- Working with all levels of an organization
- Dealing with confidential and political issues
- Managing multiple projects
- Leading/facilitating consultation sessions
- Experience working with a Board and within the public sector preferred
- Knowledge of project management and risk management fundamentals an asset
- Models Leadership: Demonstrates exemplary leadership and communication skills.
- Fosters Innovation: Promotes innovative, transformative practices to support District success.
- Provides a Strategic Focus: Puts the strategic direction and vision of the District at the forefront.
- Leads Change: Looks for solutions to address challenges and has a proven ability to lead change.
- Works Collaboratively: Has the ability to be a team player and work co-operatively at all levels of the District.
- Engages External Partners: Identifies and involves external stakeholders in order to foster long term partnerships.
- Successfully Plans, Organizes and Coordinates: Proactively plans, establishes priorities and allocates resources to deliver on the organization's mandate.
- Effectively Problem Solves: Analyzes problems systematically, organizes information, and identifies key factors and options leading to successful outcomes.
To apply please visit https://bit.ly/39ldFLv
The deadline to apply is Aug 14, 2020 4:00 PM PD