BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Director, North Shore Emergency Management
The North Shore Emergency Management Office (NSEM) is seeking a qualified senior level leader to fill the regular, full-time position of Director, NSEM. This dynamic position works with considerable independence of judgement to meet strategic objectives and fulfil operational requirements.
North Shore Emergency Management (NSEM) is the inter-municipal agency of the City of North Vancouver, District of North Vancouver and the District of West Vancouver with the mission to achieve a disaster resilient North Shore. NSEM coordinates the North Shore’s overarching regional emergency preparedness and response strategies and operational plans, and leads all emergency planning, preparedness, response and recovery activities on the North Shore.
- Provides overall strategic direction and directs the development of high level plans and strategies to achieve resilience and deliver the core components of the North Shore Emergency Management program e.g. public education, Emergency Operations Centre activation, staff/volunteer training, and emergency planning.
- Provides leadership to a team of 7 NSEM staff
- Fosters relationships with municipal departments, response agencies and a broad range of other stakeholders
- Is an active participant in emergency event responses
- Identifies opportunities for partnerships and works effectively in diverse governance arrangements
- Identifies opportunities for funding and manages NSEM finances and grant funding
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
- A degree in a related discipline supplemented by courses within the Emergency Management Diploma Program at the BC Justice Institute (or similar institution).
- Minimum of 7 years relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and training.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, and prepare required documentation. July 2020 Document: 4441691
- Ability to effectively persuade, negotiate or influence.
- Ability to function effectively in emergency situations and make decisions with limited information available, as well as manage and direct others in crisis situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to liaise with same on matters related to the work.
- Sound Knowledge of emergency management in British Columbia.
- Ability to analyze complex situations, determine courses of action, evaluate risk and make decisions where there is little or no precedent.
- Sound knowledge in planning, organization, decision making, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated project management skills to ensure projects are organized and schedules and milestones are met.
If you have what we’re looking for and enjoy working in a fast paced environment with a team of enthusiastic and dedicated individuals, we want to hear from you. Please apply online with your cover letter and resume at https://careers.dnv.org.
We thank you for your interest, however only those individuals shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.